• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ball boys sent off at Yeovil

Stelios

Got to say, I think I'm with the ref on this. It gets silly sometimes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49866683

Yeovil ball boys see red

Under normal circumstances, eight red cards would leave a match on the brink of abandonment. At Huish Park, however, eight red cards were brandished just to keep the contest going.
That's because referee Aaron Jackson decided the ball boys dotted around the pitch for Yeovil Town's National League game against Bromley were hindering rather than helping the action on the field.
With the Glovers 3-1 up heading into the closing stages, it wasn't just the the home players who were engaging in a bit of gamesmanship.

"One ball boy delayed giving the ball back to Bromley's Sam Wood about 10 minutes from the end and was warned by the referee," explained BBC Somerset commentator Chris Spittles.

"But when the same ball boy repeated the trick shortly after the referee asked for them all to be removed. One steward was tasked with gathering them all in and leading them away down the tunnel.
"I've never seen anything like it."

The contest had earlier been halted for 18 minutes following a nasty collision involving Bromley goalkeeper Mark Cousins.
Cousins was subsequently rushed to hospital, but was thankfully given the all clear and joined his team-mates for the coach journey home having suffered a slight concussion and ligament damage in his shoulder.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
At a lot of grounds it would be quicker if the players retrieved the ball themselves.
I hate to see home players encouraging the ball boys to slow it down & they are of course going to adhere to the instructions.
At Home Park(surprise,surprise) a couple a seasons back,a Orient player was so frustrated at the go slow & impediment of play that he knocked one youth over to get the ball back,the hysteria in the crowd & local media was as if it was Ian Brady involved.
The unfortunate player got a SIX game ban.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
It was kind of funny when one of ours threw the ball at a player on the Doble side think it may have been a Morecombe game ?

Stelios

Apparently the lad in question slowed it down by changing which hand he was holding the ball by moving it behind his back when the the oppo player came to get it off him.

Not a fan of gobby little so-and-so's trying to be clever but not easy as you say because they probably get plenty of grief from the crowd and players to slow things down. This kind of thing is basically encouraged and seen as a "part of the game" now. Yeovil Chairman didn't seem to think they'd done much wrong and thought the ref just overreacted.

Suspect after 20 minute delay already he was in no mood for it.

Oldsmobile-88

Not a fan of gobby little so-and-so's trying to be clever but not easy as you say because they probably get plenty of grief from the crowd and players to slow things down. This kind of thing is basically encouraged and seen as a "part of the game" now. Yeovil Chairman didn't seem to think they'd done much wrong and thought the ref just overreacted.
In the grand scheme of the ills in football it’s no big deal.
I’m a great believer in ‘what comes around,goes around.’

Laughed my frigging head off at Mansfield last season when a home Centre Back signalled to the ball boy not to return the ball to a Exeter player(the lad looked embarrassed & must have felt awkward at the request)
When we took the lead the same ****(player) was rushing about to retrieve the ball for our throw ins..:D

IndoMike

The ball boys are supposed to retrieve the ball and give it to the relevant player. They are not supposed to stop an opponent doing a quick throw-in : it's a provocation and should not be allowed, so I agree with the ref entirely. Clubs can easily stop this kind of thing.
Shows where we are in the world when people think things like this are funny.
(High horse now dismounted).

Oldsmobile-88

The ball boys are supposed to retrieve the ball and give it to the relevant player. They are not supposed to stop an opponent doing a quick throw-in : it's a provocation and should not be allowed, so I agree with the ref entirely. Clubs can easily stop this kind of thing.
Shows where we are in the world when people think things like this are funny.
(High horse now dismounted).
Mike,I was laughing at the goon who played for Mansfield who was rushing things up & retrieving the ball for the Grecians after his side went behind.
(I grant my post was ambiguous)

StroudGrecian

Compare this:

With this, from about 12 seconds in (though it's all worth watching :)):

Gotta love Reuben Reid.

Oldsmobile-88

Ha..The ballboy at Swansea looked about 20 & on a diet of KFC !!

IndoMike

Mike,I was laughing at the goon who played for Mansfield who was rushing things up & retrieving the ball for the Grecians after his side went behind.
(I grant my post was ambiguous)
Yeah no problem Oldsie. I was just talking in general terms. The Mansfield bloke deserves a free ticket.