• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bad news for fat bastards

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Well I think it might, I'm skint, and I've just checked the cupboard and no biscuits, no chocolate, not even a nice bit of cheese.:'(
I love cheese, me.

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
I agree with RTP, fatties are the result of a consumer society. Profitability is geared up on us consuming more of everything. We still have a way to go to catch up with the USA ........ but the evidence is there, fat people are a by product of a rich society.

The question is, does these tough economic times mean we will all start losing weight? Does it mean a retun to the 50's when everyone was skinny? (
We're not that far behind the US mate: probably only about two percent in fact. Other rich nations such as France and Germany have far lower percentages of obese people so I don't know if wealth has anything to do with being overweight. Other studies show that being poor is a cause as the cheap crap is full of calories and sugar. Look at African-Americans: they represent a healthy (or unhealthy as the case is) majority of the obese in the US.

I tend to think that this is a cultural thing rather than one linked to money. It's almost become acceptable to be a fat person. The amount of alcohol being guzzled certainly doesn't help either although the case of Germany might disprove that.

Obesity is a major social problem these days and one which must cost billions in lost earning-power and that which is spent on medical treatment for illnesses such as bowel cancer, heart attacks, strokes, type 2 diabetes.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Given the French eat a pound of cheese per week, and every time I've seen a nudist beach it has been full of fat Germans, I reckon they have plenty of fatties too.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
every time I've seen a nudist beach it has been full of fat Germans.
Without them wearing lederhosen Jase, how do you know they're German? Do they keep their Bavarian alpine hats on? :)

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
people over 16 stone and/or the age of 65 should be put down.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Without them wearing lederhosen Jase, how do you know they're German? Do they keep their Bavarian alpine hats on? :)
It's the bumfluff moustaches that give them away, natch.

Aside from them speaking German, of course.

InTheBigBank

Resigned
Would you get upset if a 22 stone person got on a flight with no extra charge in their weight restriction just after little old 10 stone(?):D you, just got charged £20 or so for being 1lb over on your hand luggage allowance?

I think big people have enough problems without any extra abuse!
Are you saying they have enough on their plate?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This has implications for Big Bankers. C'mon people slim down, so we get more space!

elginCity

Aside from them speaking German, of course.
Ah I see now, so you're actually on the nudist beach in amongst them.

I'd assumed you were at a safe distance with binos :D

crocks

I think that the German flag towels on deckchairs may be a bit of a clue as well :)