• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

B teams back on the agenda

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't think this has been mentioned thus far, but it looks interesting:

In a previous life, when he was a Sheffield MP, Andy Burnham was at the forefront of the supporters' trust movement, while David Bernstein was once in the running to chair ECFCST.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't think this has been mentioned thus far, but it looks interesting:

In a previous life, when he was a Sheffield MP, Andy Burnham was at the forefront of the supporters' trust movement, while David Bernstein was once in the running to chair ECFCST.
With this coming out regarding Greg Clarke at the FA, he along with Rick Parry should both go. Neither the FA or the self interest of clubs at PL and EFL are showing themselves worthy of self governance.

Grecian Max

Max - I know that Germany is often heralded as an exemplar of how football in England should be, both structurally and culturally. However, B Teams exist in Germany and play up to the equivalent of L1 in England. How do you reconcile that?

I'm not trying to catch you out, but you seem more informed than most about this topic, so I'm interested in your thoughts.
Yeah that’s a fair shout on the surface but doesn’t take into account the German league structure which is quite different to ours. In England we our lower leagues have a lot more depth, go past 3. Liga (the limit for second teams btw) and things get very regionalised and amateur in Germany.

The second teams have competed ad part of the system for decades - the Bundesliga is a much younger league system than in England, prior to the war the German system was very local and regionalised. Whereas here we saw a vast rich development of clubs competing in the football league ultimately meaning that attendances are strong all the way down the tiers. Yes they have massive gates in the top 2 leagues, helped by excellent value tickets - but you won’t find their 4th division equivalent anywhere near as well supported as the average of L2. Go further down the leagues in England and you’ll still find 2,500+ at step 6! This is because these clubs represent areas, cities and therefore should be facing off against each other not PL franchise b team youth squads.

I was comparing fan action and unity towards issues not fundamental historical differences in league structure. Monday night football in Germany was cancelled following consistent fan unity and protest. It can work, it does work... the English way of doing whatever the **** we choose (and trust me I like that attitude sometimes) often bites us in the arse.

Grecian Max

In short there was historical space and relevance for second teams in the Bundesliga system (formed in the 60s), especially pre unification. Their inclusion is part of the status quo not something being forced upon a league system that has stood in various guises but always proper club v proper club since the late 1800s.

Grecian Max

Sometimes its not about winning, it is about demonstrating that you care enough to oppose a wrong.
This x1000000

iscalad

Slightly off topic but I see the French leagues are in the pooh due to non-payment of TV rights. Wonder how the PL would get on if that happened here.

eurogrecian

Slightly off topic but I see the French leagues are in the pooh due to non-payment of TV rights. Wonder how the PL would get on if that happened here.
Well they've spread their bets a bit. French leagues staked everything on a Chinese investment fund buyer.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster