• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ah the good old M25...a love/hate relationship if ever there was one.

I do often wonder what was there before its construction. Did it just join up a number of A roads?
There was and still is an A25 which runs very close to it on the Southern side and the other routes around it and near it you can see they were once the major arteries in and out of London.

Oldsmobile-88

The M25 has been steady widened over the past 35 years at huge expense compared to what it would have cost to put 5 or 6 lanes in originally.

In the US the Freeways In & around major cities were constructed with the projected traffic volumes 40 years into the future.
The wonderful Bay Bridge In SF was completed in the mid 1930s with 2 decks of 6 lanes(one each way) Far too much capacity for 1930s traffic volume but very handy for the 2000s

Oldsmobile-88

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Katie Price must have her licence back 😎

Oldsmobile-88

Electric Vehicles made up 11.5% of market share in the UK in 2021.
Plug In Electric Vehicle hybrids(PHEV)made up 7% of sales.

Anyone got a pure EV yet or thinking of getting one ?

Alistair20000

No and no.

Oldsmobile-88

🤣
I’ve just watched the preposterous new TV advert from Land Rover with the Range Rover marque featured.Obviously aimed at the world wide market but I can’t see the attributes in the advert being too relevant driving up the M6 or on the School run which they are used mostly for around my area. 😁

Mr Jinx

We'll need a new car soon. Probably more like a 3 year old second hand one.

Wrestling with whether to get a diesel or a hybrid (full EV's are still too expensive).

Antony Moxey

We'll need a new car soon. Probably more like a 3 year old second hand one.

Wrestling with whether to get a diesel or a hybrid (full EV's are still too expensive).
Wrestle with whether to get a petrol or a hybrid instead. Diesel's dead. Such is petrol engine technology that small turbo charged petrol engines are capable of more than adequate performance and economy, and are also quite a bit lighter than their oil burning counterparts. But like you say, for a full EV, unless it's a company car, the numbers just don't stack up and it'll be pretty much decades before you catch up on it's non-electric counterpart.

Oldsmobile-88

January 1975..The Triumph TR7 was previewed in Florida.The huge US market was important to BL for the cars success.They were hoping model sales would not go the same way as the unreliable Triumph Stag a few years before,leading to its withdrawal from sale in the important US market.

It was a success,putting back the launch in Europe until the middle of 1976.
A good time to launch it in the US after the fuel crisis of late 1973,with a 2ltr engine,good mpg for the times.
California had strict emission controls hence
the model there had a single carb, the rest of the country had twin carbs(49 state engine) The Europe model had the latter.
My dad bought a convertible when the were available in 1980. A great fun car for the time.He let me borrow it occasionally 😎

Anyone else have one ?

5E7D30FB-8F6A-4969-9FE8-67D6B0BD4E31.jpeg

Last edited: