• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep..By the early 1970s,tightening of emissions & safety standards in California lead to the beginning of the end of Muscle Cars.
For a time cars sold were either classed as 49 State which meant the emissions & safety standards were not as strict in those States as cars sold in the huge Californian market.
The fuel crisis following the 1973 Arab Israeli war spelt the end of the gas guzzling cars especially when combined with the new the new Corporate Average Fuel Economy(CAFE)legislation(Federal Law)
Jaguar fell foul of that with the original XJS V12 which was why they developed the HE version(more efficient fuel injection)

I personally prefer the look of 70s motors,they were the last shout at extravagant decadence in car design on that side of the Atlantic.
Yep, The 70's with all its problems put paid to the gas guzzlers, Also those rubber bumpers on MG's weren't the best looking either, I just think those 60's muscle cars looked more raw before all the extras put on as they developed.

Mr Jinx

Yep..By the early 1970s,tightening of emissions & safety standards in California lead to the beginning of the end of Muscle Cars.
For a time cars sold were either classed as 49 State which meant the emissions & safety standards were not as strict in those States as cars sold in the huge Californian market.
The fuel crisis following the 1973 Arab Israeli war spelt the end of the gas guzzling cars especially when combined with the new the new Corporate Average Fuel Economy(CAFE)legislation(Federal Law)
Jaguar fell foul of that with the original XJS V12 which was why they developed the HE version(more efficient fuel injection)

I personally prefer the look of 70s motors,they were the last shout at extravagant decadence in car design on that side of the Atlantic.
As you're an American car buff...here's the pick I saw on Sunday. First up...

IMG_20210905_140202.jpg

Oldsmobile-88

Also those rubber bumpers on MG's weren't the best looking either, I just think those 60's muscle cars looked more raw before all the extras put on as they developed.
Yes,Rubber bumpers on MG’s were to do with selling the model in the US,California primarily.
There was a huge push for more Automobile safety,led by Ralph Nader.
There was a stat from the late 1960s when the Vietnam war was at its height.More people were killed in their cars on Thanksgiving Weekend than were killed fighting in Vietnam over the same period.

Cars in the UK were just as unsafe of course.Just not as big or powerful generally.

Oldsmobile-88

As you're an American car buff...here's the pick I saw on Sunday. First up...

View attachment 7001
It looks like a 68 or 69 Plymouth Roadrunner ?

DB9

Watching Wheeler Dealers now they have one of my favourite US cars, The Lincoln Continental, A 1963 version, Absolutely love them, Especially the suicide doors.

Mr Jinx

Not sure what this was...

IMG_20210905_135445.jpg

A pimped up version of summat American

DB9

Not sure what this was...

View attachment 7003

A pimped up version of summat American
The badge on the bonnet looks like a Cadilac one?

Oldsmobile-88

DB9

Rosencrantz