• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
A advert for the Austin Princess from August 1979.
A much maligned car from British Leyland,even so they were incredibly comfortable for the time. A nice drive from what I remember.

The Ad is a bit naughty.Petrol was around £1.05 a gallon for 4 Star at the time(23p/litre) The advertising department at BL were no doubt playing on the upheaval in Iran at the time which had pushed Petrol prices above a pound a gallon a few months before.

3D9225D4-1EA0-4785-814E-391EB133C2F1.jpeg

Alistair20000

A friend had a BL Princess around that time. It was comfortable but bleddy unreliable. (n)

Oldsmobile-88

A friend had a BL Princess around that time. It was comfortable but bleddy unreliable. (n)
Little wonder the Japanese started to chip away at BL market share around this time.

Oldsmobile-88

I’ve never owned one but was allowed to borrow a friends if my car was off the road for any reason.
He did not have a great deal of problems iirc.It was one of the later models a Y reg(1982) HLS,one of the last ones.
He got a Rover 3500 SD1 after 😁..Gotta be one of the worst build quality cars of that BL era.
A great engine(from GM-Buick) but for bits falling off of it & not working electrics it was something else.

Avening Posse

My Dad had one of these. It was the last "British" car he bought. He had the 3 or 4 previous cars BL rolled out and I think he had problems with them all and the Princess was the last straw. It was very comfortable sitting in the back as a 12 year old though !

Mr Jinx

This made I larf. Would love to go to one of these...

I swear I saw one of those Protons when driving around Exmouth this week.

Oldsmobile-88

A car I remember my parents having which is a rare sight these days is a Sunbeam Stiletto.They had a dark blue one(E reg) from 1969 to 73.
Bought from the Rootes garage on Paris St Roundabout where the Vue Cinema is now.
It was towed during a weeks holiday in London(Staying at Allied Services Hotel in Waterloo)
A car park had to be vacated by 6pm for some reason,my Dad got held up going to move it to a side steet,got there at 6.30pm & it was gone.
Luckily it was not the sort of extortionate fee payable these days.Just inconvenient trying to find the pound.
The next car he bought was a new Renault 4 which would have been right at home in Jinxys post !

59CE86B2-7E69-4F9E-9946-7D75C8F03A65.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

E10 petrol is being rolled out across the forecourts,replacing E5.
E is for Ethanol a substitute for gasoline.The 5 & 10 stand for the % of Ethanol in the fuel.

Any Petrol vehicle in the UK sold post 2000 should be comparable with E10.
Older vehicles may have to use Super Unleaded(97 octane)
If you own a classic car it may be worth checking if it’s compatible with E10 to save possible damage to the valves & seals in the combustion part of the engine.

Oldsmobile-88

Never been a lover of gull wing doors !

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Does anyone know what make of car that is ?
It looks like a Tesla,but I don’t think they do a Gull Wing model.

Surprised there were not all sorts of warnings & sounds from the dashboard sounding off to the driver if the Gull Wing was open as you engaged gear & drove away.