• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thought new hybrids were already out from 2030?
Just generalising , as I said , I don’t know much about the things other than seeing stuff on the deluge of ads that have appeared on tv since the advent of Covid . Seemingly the early purchasers will be paying a premium price because of development costs.

Banksy

A fair old wedge will be missed by the exchequer from the tapered reduction of petrol & diesel use.
The taxation of electric vehicles will be radically overhauled no doubt.
Don’t worry , the poor sods who’ve innocently bought diesels and have woken up after Covid to discover that their car which is their only way to get to work , is now classed as evil incarnate will be gradually taxed out of existence no doubt over the next few years.

Oldsmobile-88

Don’t worry , the poor sods who’ve innocently bought diesels and have woken up after Covid to discover that their car which is their only way to get to work , is now classed as evil incarnate will be gradually taxed out of existence no doubt over the next few years.
Yep..Diesels as late as 2016 fall foul of the new ULEZ in London plus various other clear air schemes around the country.

Grecian2K

Ironically though until they fit pantographs over all the major roads to power the lorries (and based on the (theoretically easier) electrification of the railways - or perfect the nascent "hydrogen dreams" that's more likely to be 2530), coupled with the diminishing demand for petrol due to the enforced "Tesla-isation" of the family run around) in a decade or so time the only readily available liquid fuel is likely to be the deadly diesel.

Perhaps not quite time yet to ditch your old particulate pumps?

DB9

Ironically though until they fit pantographs over all the major roads to power the lorries (and based on the (theoretically easier) electrification of the railways - or perfect the nascent "hydrogen dreams" that's more likely to be 2530), coupled with the diminishing demand for petrol due to the enforced "Tesla-isation" of the family run around) in a decade or so time the only readily available liquid fuel is likely to be the deadly diesel.

Perhaps not quite time yet to ditch your old particulate pumps?
Perhaps we can turn all the roads into Scalextric tracks?

Banksy

Don’t get me wrong , I know the planet is being polluted by man with dire results , witness all the recent fires and flooding and our grandchildren are not being left much of a legacy. It’s just that out of the blue all this is being thrown at people in a rush with impossible time scales and no allowance for they fact that some folk can’t afford to replace stuff at the snap of their fingers. Funny too how the car makers are suddenly throwing all these ads out after Covid as if they’ve been storing them up for years and suddenly now produced them out of a hat for the latest scheme to make money.Now if the government were that keen anyway , they’d give folk a decent allowance to make the change.And how and where are they going to find the fuel to produce the electricity to charge up the things.
Forgive my idle ramblings .I suppose all this won’t really work until someone discovers anti - grav.

Banksy

P.S I think your post #134 has started something Olds!

Oldsmobile-88

P.S I think your post #134 has started something Olds!
Yes...The debate will get louder by the year as we get closer to 2030.

The obvious way to make up for the reduction in revenue from Petrol & Diesel tax’s is road charging, likely political suicide for the government that brings that in.

angelic upstart

Electric is the future no doubt. The main issue is charging points for those without off road parking. Theres all sorts of stuff going on behind the scenes to overcome this, from on the road WiFi style charging underneath the car.

I personally think that owning a car will become slightly redundant once more folk are permanently working from home and driverless cars become the norm. We're more likely to hire a car for periods of time rather than own it. Long time away from this though

Avening Posse

I'd buy an electric car if I could afford one. i need a family sized car and could not justify the expense at the minute. Quite easy to get a charger point put in the drive under the car port and quite cheap to do so, and being in Oz the PV panels on our roof are a decent earner. I don't have a battery storage for the PV yet though, but may invest in one soon as they have come on leaps and bounds in the last 4 years. With the battery storage, it would be a massive help in charging a car, but the overall cost of the car is the barrier for me