• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t get it, we’re already priced per mile by the tax portion on the fuel we burn. The further you drive the more tax you pay.

The war on motorists is unrelenting.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t get it, we’re already priced per mile by the tax portion on the fuel we burn. The further you drive the more tax you pay.
Not if you drive a electric car.

DB9

Not if you drive a electric car.
As soon as electric cars become the majority they will end up being taxed just as much, The motorist is too easier target.

Banksy

As soon as electric cars become the majority they will end up being taxed just as much, The motorist is too easier target.
Spot on !

Oldsmobile-88

Yep..That’s where road pricing will come into the equation.

angelic upstart

The war on motorists is unrelenting.

Maybe don't drive as much, and you wont pay as much?

DB9

Maybe don't drive as much, and you wont pay as much?
If only it was that simple, For example the SW is rural, To get anywhere you need transport and as much as Gove said about leveling up with public transport it will not happen in rural areas, Also the car is our own sense of freedom and should not be for only those who can afford it, Its not the luxury it once was.

Banksy

Our village is served by two buses a day to Ashford which is five miles away.One goes by our place at 7.50 a.m , the other going the other way at 4.30 pm.Guess it’s our fault for wanting to live in the country. As you can guess we don’t go to Ashford very often.

angelic upstart

If only it was that simple, For example the SW is rural, To get anywhere you need transport and as much as Gove said about leveling up with public transport it will not happen in rural areas, Also the car is our own sense of freedom and should not be for only those who can afford it, Its not the luxury it once was.

I don't disagree, but the tax is fair. The more you consume, the more you pay.

angelic upstart

Our village is served by two buses a day to Ashford which is five miles away.One goes by our place at 7.50 a.m , the other going the other way at 4.30 pm.Guess it’s our fault for wanting to live in the country. As you can guess we don’t go to Ashford very often.
It's no ones fault. It's something you factor in when deciding to live in the sticks. I've done it often enough myself.

P.S. Rome2Rio is way out with the volume of buses from your gaff to Ashford!