• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sad thing about those Rovers were they were built like tanks and were very popular in banger racing circuits and most ended their lives doing that.
A very heavy car & of course no PAS..The engine was a 2.6 Straight 6 & a dream if you had to work on it,so simple & easy to get to everything.
The only thing I had to really do on it was to change the electric fuel pump which was in the boot & took me about 5 minutes.
It also had a starter handle if you had a flat battery.
I used it once,it was not a easy engine to hand crank.

DB9

A very heavy car & of course no PAS..The engine was a 2.6 Straight 6 & a dream if you had to work on it,so simple & easy to get to everything.
The only thing I had to really do on it was to change the electric fuel pump which was in the boot & took me about 5 minutes.
It also had a starter handle if you had a flat battery.
I used it once,it was not a easy engine to hand crank.
A truly fantastic old car of an era when Rovers were built to last.

Oldsmobile-88

A truly fantastic old car of an era when Rovers were built to last.
In those days it was not easy to get classic fixed value insurance for cars that were not “in the traders book”
My insurance company through my broker needed a written Engineers Report which was easy for me to get because I knew the Chief Vehicle Examiner at Middlemoor Police HQ(a great chap,Den Clarke) he did the inspection & report.I serviced his Boiler 😁

It was good to have when I sold the car,having that official stamp with the report.

Oldsmobile-88

Anyone thinking of buying a all electric car in the near future ?

I noticed quite a few around recently.

Tesla models are the most common I’ve seen.They are a fair wedge new £40-50k.
Seen a few Nissan Leafs about as well.

DB9

I have no place to charge any electric vehicle where i live like a lot of people in this country, For me until they charge as quick as filling a tank, Do the same sort of mileage as petrol/diesel on a full charge and most importantly the price comes down i'll pass.

Oldsmobile-88

I have no place to charge any electric vehicle where i live like a lot of people in this country, For me until they charge as quick as filling a tank, Do the same sort of mileage as petrol/diesel on a full charge and most importantly the price comes down i'll pass.
Yep..Valid points.

Price is still very high compared to a combustion engined alternative.

Banksy

Like tv models from yesteryear , as soon as you buy one it will be superseded , you’ll be told they’ve developed a lighter/ longer lasting/ more efficient battery etc etc( complete as necessary.) Using the tv example as a yardstick , I remember buying my first really big screen tele in the early 2000’s , two or three years later I could get one a quarter the weight , 50% bigger screen and more to the point at about a sixth of the price. I don’t know much about the things , but will the powers that be soon be condemning these hybrid type cars to the government dustbin in due course the petrol bit being too polluting.Any real breakthrough and they’ll be scrapping the early models along with the diesels.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Like tv models from yesteryear , as soon as you buy one it will be superseded , you’ll be told they’ve developed a lighter/ longer lasting/ more efficient battery etc etc( complete as necessary.) Using the tv example as a yardstick , I remember buying my first really big screen tele in the early 2000’s , two or three years later I could get one a quarter the weight , 50% bigger screen and more to the point at about a sixth of the price. I don’t know much about the things , but will the powers that be soon be condemning these hybrid type cars to the government dustbin in due course the petrol bit being too polluting.Any real breakthrough and they’ll be scrapping the early models along with the diesels.
Thought new hybrids were already out from 2030?

Oldsmobile-88

Thought new hybrids were already out from 2030?
I heard a report a few days ago saying that it was 2035.

Edit..Just checked,2035 for hybrid cars/vans with a significant run with zero carbon coming out the tail pipe.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

A fair old wedge will be missed by the exchequer from the tapered reduction of petrol & diesel use.
The taxation of electric vehicles will be radically overhauled no doubt.