• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automatic Promotion

Ian Russon

Talking about Automatics at this stage is obscene. We're not even top of the league. We've had an outstanding start to the season and more importantly MT has shown he can build a team that plays together, a quality that most managers struggle with at this level. The next two or three seasons will be exciting times

Boyo

Most of our wins this season have been by a single goal. That’s not a sign of a team who are significantly better than their peers. It’s really tight at the moment. IF results go VERY badly in the next 3 rounds of games, we’ll be below argyle in the table. Of course if we start converting chances and winning more comfortably, we may start to believe.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hope we've not jinxed it :(

Ian Russon

If or when, we get promoted automatically, are we all expecting a open top bus parade from the squad?

If so maybe we should have the parade before January so the likes of Lee Martin can celebrate before they're purchased by MK or PNE for pittance.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think this is our season. We were in with a shout last season, but we are definitely stronger this time around. Losing key players to injury simply will not be as bad this season due to the depth in the squad. Losing the manager to a desperate bigger club with a pot of gold would be a bummer though
Although Matt might be tempted by a big offer, judging by his decision not to interview for that recent position I think he is level-headed enough to realize he is still learning his trade. But eventually, yes, he'll probably go if we are successful.

IndoMike

If or when, we get promoted automatically, are we all expecting a open top bus parade from the squad?

If so maybe we should have the parade before January so the likes of Lee Martin can celebrate before they're purchased by MK or PNE for pittance.
Nobody can accuse you of being a happy clapper.

Avening Posse

Although Matt might be tempted by a big offer, judging by his decision not to interview for that recent position I think he is level-headed enough to realize he is still learning his trade. But eventually, yes, he'll probably go if we are successful.
Not sure what the latest stats are on this, but I'm sure it's over 50% of league managers change each season. All the successful lower ones get tapped up to a certain extent and I think a lot of it is "right place right time", in terms of what comes up, who is available etc etc. If, and it's a big if, we are still top 3 at the business end of he season, bigger clubs looking over their shoulder will definitely be having a sniff. The irony of course is this is actually a good thing

IndoMike

Not sure what the latest stats are on this, but I'm sure it's over 50% of league managers change each season. All the successful lower ones get tapped up to a certain extent and I think a lot of it is "right place right time", in terms of what comes up, who is available etc etc. If, and it's a big if, we are still top 3 at the business end of he season, bigger clubs looking over their shoulder will definitely be having a sniff. The irony of course is this is actually a good thing
Other clubs might be interested, but I still think Matt knows he must walk before he can run. Time is on his side. If he looks at Tizzer, he will see the grass is not always greener on the other side. Just my opinion, though : only he knows.

Ian Russon

Nobody can accuse you of being a happy clapper.
What do you mean Mike?

IndoMike

What do you mean Mike?
Well you know a happy clapper is someone who is uber- enthusiastic/ positive about everything, but your first sentence in a post above was that it was obscene to talk about the autos, and then you said Martin (or any other, I guess) might be off in January for peanuts. So I'm just saying - according to my understanding of the meaning of "happy clapper" - that you ain't one.