• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Attendances and January Window

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
As we enter November we are currently standing 6th in the division for attendances with an average attendance of 5145, 727 better than the average attendance for last year where we averaged 4418 which was 345 better than the year before. To date for the eight games that have been played this would equate to approx extra £100k in gates money alone not to mention ancillary services and also Leasing.com 20k.

Would this 'bonanza' be available to Matt for the January window and what areas do we think need strengthening. Personally I think we need to be looking at a striker in the likes of Kabongo Tshimanga at Borehamwood, although that may cost it could pay dividends in the run in. Also think a right back with pace on a permanent basis. You never know Kane Wilson may be available now he has recovered from injury at Tranmere

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Despite having a stronger in-depth squad than last year, I still worry that a couple of injuries to key players could scupper us. Nice cup run to earn some money would help wit strengthening.

exeter-loyal

Would this 'bonanza' be available to Matt for the January window and what areas do we think need strengthening. Personally I think we need to be looking at a striker in the likes of Kabongo Tshimanga at Borehamwood, although that may cost it could pay dividends in the run in. Also think a right back with pace on a permanent basis. You never know Kane Wilson may be available now he has recovered from injury at Tranmere
Hold the fork, Ajose may hit form when he's back from injury then we will be laughing! With money still in the bank...

Boyo

As we enter November we are currently standing 6th in the division for attendances with an average attendance of 5145, 727 better than the average attendance for last year where we averaged 4418 which was 345 better than the year before. To date for the eight games that have been played this would equate to approx extra £100k in gates money alone not to mention ancillary services and also Leasing.com 20k.

Splashing small amounts of additional income on short term players is foolish. Our playing budget needs to be sustainable over a short to medium term basis.

muppetdodger

Plus also our attendance performance should be measured against predictions not last year. That figure you quote includes the scum game. What would be more interesting would be to know what was predicted for the games we have played compared to actual attendances. I'm guessing the actual cash extra may well be less than you think. The Kabongo ship has well and truly sailed, he will probably leapfrog us unless we get promoted and he comes in the closed season.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Obviously the figure should be against budget but from what I have read in the past these have been quite conservative and I am sure that nobody would have predicted a sell out for the slime.

Are the predicted figures available anywhere for comparison.

Our income souce is not just from attendances as we all know with player sales being the major contributor and yes Boyo we do need to keep within sustainable levels, but signings can also generate extra interest and can make a statement of how the club are looking to the future which can have a knock on effect of increasing attendances as well.

We all hope that Ajose comes good but as has been seen in recent matches our current strikers are not taking the opportunites that are being created. I appreciate that the Kabongo ship has probably sailed if it was ever in the dock, but I was using him as an example of somebody we could be looking to sign, a quick scan of the National League South top scorers (which is where Kabongo was last year) does produce this gentleman with a local connection that may or may not be worth looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Ayunga if you can call Dorchester local.

Any deal does not have to be short it could be an opportunity to sign someone longer term in the knowledge that other players contracts are up at the end of the season and would be an ideal opportunity to find replacements with the extra cash and strengthen the squad at the same time.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
The more we spend now, the less we will have later. The cliff edge is approaching, maybe it would be best to slow down, not speed up.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
The more we spend now, the less we will have later. The cliff edge is approaching, maybe it would be best to slow down, not speed up.

Really! The ECFC production line looks to be heavily underpinned and in fine health to me...Collins, Sparkes, Williams, Ward all likely to go for some good numbers.....plus an abundance of talent set to emerge from the academy over the next season or two....also the possibility of some really substantial sell on fees from former players!

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Really! The ECFC production line looks to be heavily underpinned and in fine health to me...Collins, Sparkes, Williams, Ward all likely to go for some good numbers.....plus an abundance of talent set to emerge from the academy over the next season or two....also the possibility of some really substantial sell on fees from former players!
You can't spend it before it's banked.

Exehausted

Your sentence worries me Martin because you are usually spot on the money. I thought that we had been told that we were able to spend £500,000 on wages more than we generate in a normal season for this season and next at least. So the cliff edge would be the summer of 2021. I also assume that if we generate extra funds from higher attendances that the cliff edge would go back even further. We might get a windfall from further sales or add-ons or a great Cup run, but you can't count on those. Please put my mind at rest Martin because I value your opinion highly.