• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Aren't we all delighted?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was very suspicious of Matt being appointed in the wake of Tisdale’s departure. I feared it was another case of ’little Exeter’ and lack of ambition to find a more experienced candidate (the ‘conspiracy theory’ that the club doesn’t really want League One football hasn’t yet died a death). However, delighted to be proven wrong, and Matt has proven to be a real breath of fresh air after the stale Tisdale years.

What I did get right is that Tisdale would get found out in League One. Five straight League defeats, three points off relegation, losing bucket loads of money, and the locals ain’t happy. I’m sure the Winkle will splash the cash in January (and come after Bowman) and so they will probably stay up, but that won’t be considered the achievement it was here at City.
The Lge1 and Championship clubs searching for talent won't only be looking at our players though. This division has a few decent options so maybe Tis will not just have his greedy eyes on us.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
And playing in the shape we are is losing goals. Goals win games. I've already highlighted eight points we've lost this season because we've not capitalised on the pressure we've been creating. Yesterday we were a worldie Maxted save away from doing it again. How many more points do you want to drop before the penny drops?
When's the penny gonna drop that we're second on goals scored? Teams are like a Rubik's cube- you can't just optimise one section without altering the rest of it. Martin's been one of our best players... There's no option in the squad thats fit and looks close to replacing him. Jay's been here a while and he's not the prolific goal sniffer. That said, I would've brought Jay on for Martin yesterday relatively early, cos Martin looked like a red card risk.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
And playing in the shape we are is losing goals. Goals win games. I've already highlighted eight points we've lost this season because we've not capitalised on the pressure we've been creating. Yesterday we were a worldie Maxted save away from doing it again. How many more points do you want to drop before the penny drops?
Harris. Your point is understood. I can't add any more other than to repeat you may be wrong or you may be right. Until it's tried we don't know.

grecIAN Harris

When's the penny gonna drop that we're second on goals scored? Teams are like a Rubik's cube- you can't just optimise one section without altering the rest of it. Martin's been one of our best players... There's no option in the squad thats fit and looks close to replacing him. Jay's been here a while and he's not the prolific goal sniffer. That said, I would've brought Jay on for Martin yesterday relatively early, cos Martin looked like a red card risk.
And we would be eight points clear but for the lack of goals scored. Orient, Swindon, Newport (although it has to be said that maybe more of a point gained eventually going by some reports) and Crewe all points dropped because we did make the most of opportunities created. You tell me what sounds better..... second on goal difference or eight points clear at the top?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Harris. Your point is understood. I can't add any more other than to repeat you may be wrong or you may be right. Until it's tried we don't know.
Agreed. Although I'd add that I hope we don't try it, cos I'm
And we would be eight points clear but for the lack of goals scored. Orient, Swindon, Newport (although it has to be said that maybe more of a point gained eventually going by some reports) and Crewe all points dropped because we did make the most of opportunities created. You tell me what sounds better..... second on goal difference or eight points clear at the top?
8 points clear at the top. Brilliant. But without, probably our 2nd best footballer, would nothing have changed other than nicking those extra goals? I'd argue that it'd change a lot besides.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Enjoy the moment, who knows what comes next.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ah yes, the Swindon game where we started with two strikers up front and created nothing. Lee Martin then came on to play alongside Ryan Bowman and set up our goal.

StroudGrecian

What I did get right is that Tisdale would get found out in League One. Five straight League defeats, three points off relegation, losing bucket loads of money, and the locals ain’t happy.
Can't dispute those facts - though I wouldn't know about the money side of things at MK - but to equate a poor run with being 'found out' strikes me as premature. Let's not forget that Tisdale took us to the verge of the L1 play-offs and equalled our best ever finish back in 2011.

What he couldn't do was rebuild once that team fragmented, claiming he was held back by a lack of money (and ambition) at Exeter. He won't have that excuse at MK - IMHO the acid test will be, if he does have a successful year in L1, what happens after that.

Boyo

Ah yes, the Swindon game where we started with two strikers up front and created nothing. Lee Martin then came on to play alongside Ryan Bowman and set up our goal.
Someone will need to check this, but I believe we haven't scored a League goal this season when we've had two up front. Certainly the goals against Macclesfield and Swindon were after Ajose had been subbed. In both of those games we had limited opportunities in front of goal prior to Ajose going off.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Someone will need to check this, but I believe we haven't scored a League goal this season when we've had two up front. Certainly the goals against Macclesfield and Swindon were after Ajose had been subbed. In both of those games we had limited opportunities in front of goal prior to Ajose going off.
We haven't scored while Ajose has been on the pitch. However, we scored against Morecambe when Fisher and Bowman were together and against both Orient and Grimsby when Bowman, Fisher and Seymour were playing as three up front.