• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are we approaching a Crossroads

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think we have only one real option without getting outside help in and that is to carry on building on the foundations that we have already laid with regards our production line. It is our main source of income and is fast becoming the major source of our squad. What we need to do is start casting our net a little wider with regards to trying to get youth talent in by selling to them what we have done with our academy and the successes of past and present graduates. That way we may stand a chance of doing what Crewe did and make good stand of staying in League 21 and even venturing into The Championship briefly. Crewe's demise seemed to coincide with the departure of Dario Gradi from the club. We need to make sure that our academy is transitional from manager to manager to maintain our sustainability.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd like to think that we've arrived at a roundabout rather than a crossroads where we have 2 exits (one preferred) but it doesn't really matter if we stay on the roundabout for a while.
We really do need to attract 7k crowds to support this with the odd windfall used to buy marquee players

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Regarding the OP, I do think the club maybe at a crossroads with how they move on from here. This promotion and our last one are poles apart.
Absolutely agree.

As for the Academy, We talk about how players have come through and played for the 1st team and moved on to bigger and better things but in reality it hasn't happened for a while now
You seem to have a short memory. It's less than 12 months since we sold Joel Randall to Peterborough for a reported £1.8m plus whatever add-ons were included.

Which i think is great but it begs the question (To me anway) is what do we want from our Academy? Players that are really going places and move on after only a season or so or players that will "Only" be ever good for a team at our level (What ever that may be)? Its a lot to ask the Academy to produce both types or even find both types.
Surely this will occur naturally?

Most Academy players won't make the first team at City and be released (Michael Lilley, Charlie Hanson etc).

Some might get hoovered up by bigger clubs before they have really established themselves in the first team (Jordan Storey, Ethan Ampadu, Ben Chrisene) or not got that far (Jay Stansfield).

Some will get the chance of proving they can step up to the first team but won't make it and will get released (Ben Seymour, Jordan Dyer, James Dodd, Jack Veale).

One or two will prove to be solid frst-teamers (Archie Collins, Josh Key, Matt Jay).

The odd one will be exceptional in the first team and move on to bigger and better things (Ollie Watkins, Matt Grimes, Joel Randall and potentially Josh Key).

We all know about the vast sums we've made fromm Ollie but we're also potentially due windfalls from six other players if they move on for fees (Grimes, Storey, Chrisene, Ampadu, Stansfield, Randall). Obviously we could also get zilch.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Lincoln have been averaging 8-9k crowds for a few years so should have the budgets to stay in L1 beyond the typical 3 years or so. I’d really like to know what Lincoln have done to suddenly increase the crowds and maintain it.
Indeed, especially after they went Below than us in Conference average, I believe under 3,000 one year. I think they were so wildly successful in those few years including the run to an FA Cup quarter final that they really captured the imagination of the City. I suspect it’ll fall drastically in League 2.

andrew p long

Which i think is great but it begs the question (To me anway) is what do we want from our Academy? Players that are really going places and move on after only a season or so or players that will "Only" be ever good for a team at our level (What ever that may be)? Its a lot to ask the Academy to produce both types or even find both types.
We can and should aim for both. I'm greedy!

But in one intake we had both Watkins and Jay. One generated £6m in transfer fees having left after just over a year in the first team. And the other stayed for 8 years (and counting) as a pro and captained a promotion winning side and scored the promotion clinching goal.

Either is fine by me, but both is better!

Colesman Ballz

Absolutely agree.

You seem to have a short memory. It's less than 12 months since we sold Joel Randall to Peterborough for a reported £1.8m plus whatever add-ons were included.

Surely this will occur naturally?

Most Academy players won't make the first team at City and be released (Michael Lilley, Charlie Hanson etc).

Some might get hoovered up by bigger clubs before they have really established themselves in the first team (Jordan Storey, Ethan Ampadu, Ben Chrisene) or not got that far (Jay Stansfield).

Some will get the chance of proving they can step up to the first team but won't make it and will get released (Ben Seymour, Jordan Dyer, James Dodd, Jack Veale).

One or two will prove to be solid frst-teamers (Archie Collins, Josh Key, Matt Jay).

The odd one will be exceptional in the first team and move on to bigger and better things (Ollie Watkins, Matt Grimes, Joel Randall and potentially Josh Key).

We all know about the vast sums we've made fromm Ollie but we're also potentially due windfalls from six other players if they move on for fees (Grimes, Storey, Chrisene, Ampadu, Stansfield, Randall). Obviously we could also get zilch.
Think that you have missed a few there ! Hartridge, Diabate, Sparkes look to have already demonstrated at least their first team credentials, plus Kite and Pond won't be far behind. Then there is Cox and Lee .... ! :)

Spoonz Red E

.... Mentioned on here about clubs paying silly money etc and they could end up going to the wall to me is way off the mark, We've just been through the worst few seasons in history for football with the pandemic and predictions of up to a dozen clubs going to the wall, Well that never happened and TBH we can only control what we spend and not worry or look on with envy what other clubs do.
Some Clubs have escaped the reckoning because they have accepted funding without questioning how 'clean' the funding is.
Some have gone to the wall or are struggling right now with finances.
Many others have massive debts but are somehow kicking the can down the road.
These debts are real and will be called in at sometime.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think that you have missed a few there ! Hartridge, Diabate, Sparkes look to have already demonstrated at least their first team credentials, plus Kite and Pond won't be far behind. Then there is Cox and Lee .... ! :)
Yes totally. No doubt there are others in the Academy that I'm unaware of too. I really don't understand the angst on this thread.

DB9

Some Clubs have escaped the reckoning because they have accepted funding without questioning how 'clean' the funding is.
Some have gone to the wall or are struggling right now with finances.
Many others have massive debts but are somehow kicking the can down the road.
These debts are real and will be called in at sometime.
We hear this season after season, suggesting that funding isn't "Clean" do we have any evidence of this? What club in the EFL or even PL have gone to the wall? Struggling yes but that has always been the case.

There is no angst on this thread I don't think, I just think now the "Euphoria" of actually getting promotion has settled down and the new season is about to start and after over 10 yrs in L2 we all want the club to do well, With other clubs getting in players the nerves might be getting a bit tetchy for some. We know it'll be tough but as usual the fans will be there supporting the team.

DB9

For the record I'd love it if we were the 1st Trust/Fans owned club to get into The Championship, It would be such great kudos and really put us on the footballing match. It's a tough ask but why not? Plus a bloke can dream can't he?