• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Archie Collins

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m don’t agree with the negativity about Archie.
He’s still only 22 but has already played around 150 times for us.
Central midfield isn’t an easy position in the professional game and at our level you’re unlikely to find someone who is a complete player.
He’s very durable, which is important to any team/squad and in my view can be relied on to do a good job for us.
I think the divide is between those who laud him as a likely Championship player earning us big bucks and those who think he is League Two.

For me it has been noticeable that when he is missing or playing poorly the team doesn't usually function as well. Important to us and our style. I'm in the middle of the views - good enough for League One, but is unlikely to get big bids and (wild guess here) will ultimately leave us for a big League One club for free after he is both 24 and out of contract.

Big praise for Archie on Quest this weekend for both his delivery of both corners leading to goals and his all round performance.

Bridgy 81

He’s great.
I agree, but the two posts immediately above mine are examples of negativity.

Grecianpasty

There's no negativity towards Archie, more a debate as to how good he is/how far his potential will take him.

I think it's fair to say that some think he's found his level, or would be a solid league one player. Whereas others think he's championship material.

For me, I've seen worse players in the championship, but far better in league one. The quality in the teams at the bottom of the championship and the top of league one are very similar. I would equate Archie to that analogy in terms of his potential.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I honestly don't care if he's good enough for the Championship....unless we get there in the next six years ourselves. He's good enough for us right now. He's probably good enough for us if we get promoted to League One.

That'll do for me.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I noticed Archie running with the ball much more yesterday. If he can keep doing that against stronger teams that will add another level to his game.

Trapdoor

He's quality and will only get better. Whatever his ceiling turns out to be, it's clearly above L2.

grecIAN Harris

Then you quite clearly have no concept of negativity unless expecting more from him is negative. Whilst Jake Taylor was here I got what I expected out of him as the junior of that partnership, sit, hold, and let Taylor dictate and get about the pitch. With Taylor's exit, I expected Collins to step up and replace Taylor with that bit more quality on the ball that he has over Taylor but he hasn't. How many times do you see Collins get hold of the game by the scruff of the neck? Very rarely which is disappointing as he is capable of doing so. He is playing comfortably within himself. I'm repeating what I've said elsewhere here just for your benefit. Now if expecting and wanting more from someone who has the ability to provide that is 'negativity'. I'd suggest playing within yourself is negative. Now to be fair to Archie, against Portsmouth (more so) and Scunthorpe I saw more of what I was expecting from him. I understand he was also providing the same against Village Green. I wasn't at yesterdays game so couldn't tell you how he was yesterday. Maybe you need to get a grasp of the context.............

Last edited:

fred binneys head

From 5 weeks ago, let it go.

Rosencrantz

I think it's a question of form and confidence. When Archie is a bit low on them he can be a bit safe in his play, keeping possession sideways and back. When he is on it he is more progressive with his passing and a sure sign of good form is when he drives forward with the ball as well as keeping things ticking when required. Think Bowman's play off semi final goal against Colchester. He is also more comfortable having a shot from around the box or attacking the penalty area.

Since our enforced winter break, Archie has come back firing. The home games I have seen and at FGR on iFollow, he seems back on good form. From what I heard from Alan Tonge's comments yesterday on the radio, Archie was driving forward with the ball. He scored against Pompey from the edge of the box albeit not with his best hit and got in the box for his chance yesterday.

The thing to improve is mentality and consistency which comes with age and experience. Players like Matt Gill and David Noble just played their game regardless of whether they were having a good game/spell or not. They didn't go into any self imposed shell. If Archie can get this into his game, then he can easily kick on up the leagues.

Spoonz Red E

I think Archie placed his shot there because he knew the Walsall analysts would have done their homework on him and the keeper would have covered his usual option 1 foot from the right hand upright for the belter in off the underside of the crossbar.

PeteUsa will be along soon to claim the Walsall keeper's save as a goalkeeping error.