• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Anyone know the scores?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Living away from Devon as I did virtually all of my life in that era as a kid, I was reliant on all of those formats. In Cyprus it wasn't Radio 2 but the World Service and the papers came in a day or two later. If I wanted to read a match report I had to wait until the mail turned up when my Gran used to send the Express and Echo to us wherever we were in the world.

StroudGrecian

I can remember city winning 1-0 at Colchester in a midweek game in our championship season and I only heard the result on the radio in the 10 o’clock news slot when they read out all the results of the day. I was jumping around the kitchen, hoping I hadn’t heard it wrong.
You weren't - I was there, and I can confirm that City won 0-1 🙂

andrew p long

I couldn't wait for results. I used to look up the 'phone number of the club we were playing in a copy of the Rothmans Book of Football and ring the club and ask what the latest score was. I would usually ring at least four times during a match, sometimes more. That was from 1971 until teletext started. There couldn't have been many doing it because I always got straight through.
Phoning the home club reminds me of a favourite anecdote. In 1960 Crewe had an FA Cup 4th Round replay at Spurs. (They lost 13-2)

But the Crewe club secretary had to stay in Crewe so had no method of keeping up to date. So at half time he phoned Spurs. The call went

Q What's the score?

A 7-0

Q Who to?

StroudGrecian

The teleprinter was ace - confirming high scores by writing them out, e.g. EXETER 7 (SEVEN) - PLYMOUTH 0, but also could never be arsed to spell Southampton, simply SOTON.

Me and me mates still refer to them as SOTON from time to time.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The teleprinter was ace - confirming high scores by writing them out, e.g. EXETER 7 (SEVEN) - PLYMOUTH 0, but also could never be arsed to spell Southampton, simply SOTON.

With the new fangled internet version not happy with the S*unthorpe.

Legohead

Banned
I used to have teletext on in the 80's early 90's and keep refreshing it for scores.

In the late 80's and early 90's i used to go and watch Sheffield Wednesday loads with school friends who were all Wednesday fans and also i used to go and watch Barnsley a lot because a couple of mates were Tykes fans. Also our local club was Donny Rovers so we all used to pile down the old Belle Vue ground often just for something to do.

The abiding memory of going to games though, especially on a saturday was when we used to get back into Donny station and buy the 'green un' which was a local footy paper that was printed straight after all the days results and on sale by about 6pm. We could then check all the days scores and attendances before we got home.

Great days.

R5b71279a85e8f6b1faf54fcd17616ed6.jpg

haka

The Echo Football Final was a remarkable achievement really, especially in the 70s: old style type setting (no fancy computer layouts) had to be done in a few minutes, then the copies were out the door and onto Devon General buses, turning up at petrol stations and the like by 6 pm.

The match reports were a bit disappointing (only up to HT) but the results were FT. All done before faxes, never mind 21stC technology.

eurogrecian

The Radio Rentals (was it?) shop on Sidwell St was the place to be to get the teleprinter/vidiprinter news first!

Oldsmobile-88

The Radio Rentals (was it?) shop on Sidwell St was the place to be to get the teleprinter/vidiprinter news first!
Rediffusion Shop Euro...Radio Rentals was futher down,past the Echo building & near to Frenches.
If it was busy out side Rediffusion,Radio Rentals was the next port of call.