• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Another proud day for the academy

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
The 11 that saw out a 0-0 draw away at Derby in League One in front of 25,000 people had - wait for it -

EIGHT

academy graduates in the 11 at the final whistle.

Lee Key Hartridge Sparkes Collins Kite MJ Stansfield (with the other 3 being Sweenz Dieng and Caprice)
As GC says Semper Fideles !

tonykellowfan

Interesting article about Man U and their youth policy:

JW57++

Interesting article about Man U and their youth policy:

Not particularly a fan of Man U, but that is a record to be proud of, especially in the light of the Premiership’s tendency to focus on big money signings.
I wonder where we would be in a league table of continuous academy players?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not particularly a fan of Man U, but that is a record to be proud of, especially in the light of the Premiership’s tendency to focus on big money signings.
I wonder where we would be in a league table of continuous academy players?
Does anyone know when was the last time we started a league game without an academy player? Pretty sure it didn't happen when Matt Taylor was manager.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Does anyone know when was the last time we started a league game without an academy player? Pretty sure it didn't happen when Matt Taylor was manager.
Here's a game in 2015 without an academy player in the 18. Away at Wimbledon August 2015. After that it seems Tom Nichols starts, and then Ollie Watkins gets in the team. JMT is being selected but of course is in and out with injuries

I'm not sure if there's anything more recent.

Last edited:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here's a game in 2015 without an academy player in the 18. Away at Wimbledon August 2015. After that it seems Tom Nichols starts, and then Ollie Watkins gets in the team. JMT is being selected but of course is in and out with injuries

The most surprising thing about that match is that Will Hoskins started and lasted 77 minutes. Who knew?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
W

Was it the year before or after when Jamie Reid sustained that big injury against Wimbledon?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mitch Beardmore on the bench today for the first time apart from the Papa Johns.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mitch Beardmore on the bench today for the first time apart from the Papa Johns.
What position is young Mitch?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
What position is young Mitch?
Generally an attacking player, a No 10 or winger, although played quite well I thought at FGR in an unfamiliar LWB position. A tricky little ball player from what I have seen.