• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Anfield atmosphere last night

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Re: anfild atmosphere last night

A quarter of them at that time couldn't speak English given their only language was Gujurati, the same quarter did not even know football was a sport played in Leicester
I went to Leicester...that is not a correct comment. We met some Leicester fans in the pub before hand. They were as welcoming as the Liverpool fans on Wednesday.

Stuart Storer's Tache

Mentioned on another thread that I thought our support was ok and concurred with a 6/10 rating that someone had given us. I do believe that the negative line-up/tactics were a contributing factor and had we had a real go and had more than one shot on target that barely got the keepers gloves dirty then a 7/10 could have been on the cards.

Unfortunately as with all small clubs like City, large away followings very rarely lead to very loud followings. The singing sections did its best and the guys around me and behind me in 122 gave it a good go too. Whilst I thought the singing sections were a good idea they also happened to be the better seats in the qllocation so would have been appealing to anyone who wanted to go irrespective if they were going to sing or not.

In the end it very much had the feel of Wembley (certainly the first time around) and Old Trafford, pretty loud in parts but also quiet for large chunks.

I do believe that City can have large followings that are loud (Elland Road probably the best example I've been a part of) but are best suited to followings up to and around the 1,000 mark. That magical night at the Kassam in 2007 being a prime example.

People have moaned (quite rightly) about certain songs/chants, "Everton" (wtf!) "10 German Bombers" (barely heard it where i was sat) and "Steve Gerrard" and although I didn't agree nor join in at least it stirred the Kop and getting to hear the Kop at a decemt volume should be enjoyed.

Which sort of leads me on to my final point about there being an element of snobishness amongst certain sections of our support. Whilst there would have been an element of "plastics" or "day trippers" amongst the 6 odd thousand that travelled I do believe the majority that travelled were City fans

InTheBigBank

Resigned
Love anti-Argyle & banterous chants aimed at the opposition, me.

Ain't half some wet blankets on this 'ere forum.

ForeverECFC

I think had the drum been allowed then the atmosphere would have been far better, keeps everyone in sync, without it it's just a free for all of chants but we did well considering. Not the best atmosphere I've been in but that lack of inspiration on the pitch can reflect that.

I didn't hear You'll never walk alone over our fans so that says enough for me.

Grecian Max

Love anti-Argyle & banterous chants aimed at the opposition, me.
Me too, but the Gerrard one was just ****e. He's not playing there any more, just completely pointless. And chanting Everton is arguably worse - that's is embarrassing.

muppetdodger

Agree about the everton one, can't say I even heard it! The Stevie G chant was great. He is an absolute legend at Anfield, even though no longer there (he plays for their legends team) and it was because he 'let it slip' that they failed to win the Premiership when they had it in the bag, so it must rub them up a bit. Thought that was a good one, but the german bomber one is just rubbish and totally ridiculous; reminded me of that awful 'you're not number 1' stuff

supernova

The Anfield atmostphere wasn't at all as special as I thought it would be, though I enjoyed the occasion until I saw the team selection....

Steve H

I thought the home crowd was very quiet from where I was sat but that could have just been from the ***** behind me screaming abuse at our players every time a pass went astray....

As an aside didn't Liverpool insist than fans took up their ticket if they wanted a chance of attending the league cup semi?? Could explain a fair few empty seats in the stand to the right

Rabid Doug

I went to Leicester...that is not a correct comment. We met some Leicester fans in the pub before hand. They were as welcoming as the Liverpool fans on Wednesday.
By 1981, Leicester's Asian population (including Pakistanis and Bangladeshis) approached 60,000 – and now exceeds 100,000. Gujarati was for most their first language in 1981, given that the major influx came in 1972 with little English spoken at that time. I would politely suggest the Leicester fans in the pub were not from this group. My comment is correct and I too went to Leicester in 1981.

There is a world outside the pub

Silver fox

By 1981, Leicester's Asian population (including Pakistanis and Bangladeshis) approached 60,000 – and now exceeds 100,000. Gujarati was for most their first language in 1981, given that the major influx came in 1972 with little English spoken at that time. I would politely suggest the Leicester fans in the pub were not from this group. My comment is correct and I too went to Leicester in 1981.

There is a world outside the pub
So you have a problem with non English people in Leicester?