• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ampadu in Wales squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
What does former Wales and Everon captain Ashley Williams know?!

I rate Ampadu, but do wonder if all these loans (overseas) are actually raising his profile or hurting it within the domestic game. He's actually done very well out on loan, but his performances with Wales seems to do more in terms of keeping him in the spotlight etc. He could certainly play for a mid-table and below Premier League side in my opinion. It would also massively help us if he was sold in the summer and really hope that happens at some point!

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's the nature of the role that you're not necessarily going to get a load of plaudits – think Declan Rice for England – but almost all the pundits I've heard have mentioned Ampadu as one of Wales' stand-out players.
That's not actually saying much!

tonykellowfan

Ampadu has played 10 games in Serie A this season including games at AC Milan (71,000), Lazio (42,000) & Napoli (33,000). Still to visit Inter Milan, AS Roma, Atalanta, Udinese, Fioretino & others but you think he’d be better off playing against Blackpool, Wigan & Huddersfield?
I don’t think he would be better off, but playing on loan for different basket case serie a sides is hardly progressing his career.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t think he would be better off, but playing on loan for different basket case serie a sides is hardly progressing his career.
To put this into some kind of context, Real Madrid paid €80 million for Tchouaméni in the summer but Ethan's stats, playing for an average Spezia side pretty much match Tchouaméni's for Monacco.

Genuine question: How many of Spezia's Serie A games did you watch last season?!

Bridgy 81

As an example, Spezia's average crowd of 8000 is lower than any Premier league or Championship side.
That’s only slightly lower than Bournemouth’s who have a capacity of just over 11,000 and they’re in the Premier League.
Also I think it’s probably best not to conflate the worthiness of a team by their attendances otherwise we’ll never be let into the Championship.

Spoonz Red E

To put this into some kind of context, Real Madrid paid €80 million for Tchouaméni in the summer but Ethan's stats, playing for an average Spezia side pretty much match Tchouaméni's for Monacco.

Genuine question: How many of Spezia's Serie A games did you watch last season?!
I do rate Ampadu and think he's done well over the three games at the World Cup.
And those are very good stats for him - no question.

On the evidence of that graphic I would pick up on the assertion that his stats 'pretty much match' Tchouaméni's.
Tchouaméni's green shade is noticeably larger than Ampadu's blue shade.
I'd say Amps area is about 2/3 as large where more area represents a spread of higher overall percentages.

Amps does win out in two good headings which re-inforce what I've always liked about his game - 'True interceptions' and '% of total passes that are progressive'

InMyBlood

Ampadu was at Venezia last season not Spezia.
As an example, Spezia's average crowd of 8000 is lower than any Premier league or Championship side.
About equivalent to mid table L1 crowd such as Oxford or Port Vale.
Both Venezia and Spezia are being funded by Americans but Venezia are the bigger club and their fans were expecting more from the owners who are upset at their current position in Serie B. While I agree that the league following in the clubs of Serie B and bottom of Serie A are generally small. Calgliari, Parma and Genoa in Serie B are not small clubs and it looks like Sampdoria will be joining them next season.
I think that, despite that, the knowldege he will gain is better than if he were at the likes of Norwich or Middlesborough.

I'm just chuffed for him that he's got to play at a World Cup. Thinking back to when I saw him at SJP and now he's been watched across the world.

Memphis09

I don’t think you’ve been watching carefully enough. He’s had a pretty thankless task and yet has been one of Wales’ best players in all three matches - this isn’t just my view, but evidenced by the various player ratings after each game. Has definitely had a good World Cup and advanced his cause.
I have watched all there games and yes he has had a thankless task playing in several positions but if he has been one of Wales best players just shows you how poor the rest are just look we’re they finished
To many players who are past there sale by date definitely need a major rebuild with the younger players they have in there squad

Alistair20000

Time to close this Wales World Cup related thread (which brings the tally of Ethan Ampadu threads heading into double figures) ?

And return to the main Ampadu thread that has nearly 5,000 posts instead.
Seconded

sign of the chimes

Don’t think he has had a good World Cup
Looks to me like he has lost way to many loans needs to go to club that will play him. Probably championship and restart his career
I think there's something to be said for the fact that he might be reaching/have reached the too many different loans stage. While it must have been brilliant for him professionally (and probably personally) to go and get games/experience in top leagues at clubs other than his parent one; there must come a point where you could benefit from a little continuity. Is Spezia his fourth different loan in as many seasons?

I think Ampadu is a decent player and with his attributes suspect he'd play 30+ games a season in a PL club that suits him - but he needs to find the right move sooner rather than later, otherwise his next club will have to come up with a chant to the theme of 'The Littlest Hobo'.

Status
Not open for further replies.