• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
meanwhile, on today's MDT (Harrogate away) Max helpfully suggests that Alex is destined for greater things. I've been wondering whether Alex was starting to move from 'youth product who now plays regularly ' to 'one of the first names on the team sheet - and therefore at 22 being likely to attract interest from higher divisions'.
I've always been a big supporter of Alex, but frankly could understand the 12-18 months when the likes of TPC said ' he seems to have a mistake in him' . But it is looking to me now that Alex has got beyond that and may well be the next one (after Josh Key) to attract bids. Views?
Matt Taylor clearly agreed as Alex had to wait 20 months between his third and fourth league appearances. As to your overall point, there's a middle ground between not good enough and destined to play at a higher level. At the moment Alex is playing well and fully deserves to be in the team but, personally, I think it's too soon to say whether he will kick on and attract big money bids in the future.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's amazing what playing regular games and gaining experience can do for a player. Much like waiting ten games to see the shape of a season unfolding, sometimes waiting for a player to play a good number of games, around fifty (preferably with a good run in the side), can give a clearer view. It's Ok to have doubts about a player but I remember some writing off of Hartridge early last season.

Alex has certainly been eye catching so far this season and with Sweenz and George Ray with Cammy in goal, we look decent back there in the main. Remembering that being L2 there is always going to be the odd off day.
Not every player is going to come into the side and have an instant impact like Randall and Key. Alex did look quite nervous when he first came into the side last season but I think Matt Taylor handled his transition into the first team really well and we are now seeing a much more confident player.
Interestingly Kite is now in a similar position, learning that there's no hiding place in league football and you get punished for the slightest misjudgement. Looking back, the sending off at Newport didn't seem to have too much of a negative effect on Alex and hopefully Harry will learn from the experience in the same way.

Last edited:
Reactions: WXF

Grecianpasty

As mentioned by others, myself included, he had a mistake in him. And I put that down simply to a lack of game time. Playing consistently has done him the world of good.

For me, I have no doubt that he will play a higher level. His partnership with Ray has been fantastic, and is something that we have been missing for a while.

SaintJames

meanwhile, on today's MDT (Harrogate away) Max helpfully suggests that Alex is destined for greater things. I've been wondering whether Alex was starting to move from 'youth product who now plays regularly ' to 'one of the first names on the team sheet - and therefore at 22 being likely to attract interest from higher divisions'.
I've always been a big supporter of Alex, but frankly could understand the 12-18 months when the likes of TPC said ' he seems to have a mistake in him' . But it is looking to me now that Alex has got beyond that and may well be the next one (after Josh Key) to attract bids. Views?
Its all about opinions and Alex for me has now cemented a starting place. However, becoming a top quality (e.g. Championship level) centre half that will attract interest higher up the leagues is a different matter. The modern day centre half has pace, power, strength and the ability to play out from thr back. He needs to bulk up physically and dominate centre forwards before interest will arise I think. However, who knows what the Alex Hartridge 2023 model will grow into as he is still a young pup fora cenner half

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rory McArdle deserves a mention in any despatches about Alex's development

Trapdoor

He was excellent yesterday. He's really starting to be a top center back now. Maybe my man of the match.

Red Devon

Alex made a big leap forward after getting sent off at Newport and then being paired alongs McArdle in the second half of last season (if MT will forgive me for saying that) destined for bigger things the way he’s progressing at the moment.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rory McArdle deserves a mention in any despatches about Alex's development
Especially, for the way he didn't track Alex's run at the end of yesterday's match and almost let him score the winner.

Reactions: WXF

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its all about opinions and Alex for me has now cemented a starting place. However, becoming a top quality (e.g. Championship level) centre half that will attract interest higher up the leagues is a different matter. The modern day centre half has pace, power, strength and the ability to play out from thr back. He needs to bulk up physically and dominate centre forwards before interest will arise I think. However, who knows what the Alex Hartridge 2023 model will grow into as he is still a young pup fora cenner half
I think he already has bulked up physically. I love the way he has progressed from being out of the team for nearly two years to being nervous and looking like he didn't quite feel he belonged for much of last season to now being one of our key players. It's great that we're now discussing how much further he can go rather than is he should be in the team at all.
And hopefully one of the knock-on consequences will be that Matt Taylor will be more comfortable with sticking Dyer in the team if necessary rather than having to worry about having two inexperienced and potentially nervy defenders in the back 3.

Grecian Max

The first thing that stood out to be about Hartridge was his ability to genuinely be able to distribute the ball well. Not just safe passes which often results in people going crazy in league 2, but a mixture of being able to go long and short and have an incisiveness about those.

He has attacking instincts that are unusual in a CB. It was probably partly that that caused some mistakes as he his more of a risk taker than your average fourth division centre back. His decision making has improved massively as well as overusing his arms to win the ball back too eagerly.

I compared him to Ferdinand in a lower league sense which was met with derision but I do see similarities albeit not anywhere near that level. Coupled with his extra work in the gym to become a bit of a unit now, Championsho beckons surely. The rapid progress reminds a bit of Friend who was a bit dodge, followed by ok, then far too good for our level at the time.

Will make us more money than Archie Collins. Tag this post 😉.