• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Plsys much better in a 4

Spoonz Red E

He's done well yes, as have the makeshift back four, but it has to be said that i don't believe they've been really properly tested to any great lengths defensively by our last 4 opponents. Crawley only for about a 10 minute period after Parkes got sent off. Hartridge does look very promising though and seems comfortable on the ball and his distribution is frequently good.
True enough but it was interesting to hear Matt Jay say that the back four's good work meant that Matt and others didn't have to keep running back to cover.
All part of the pressing game for the last 2 matches (just didn't have the final third firepower on Tuesday)

Grecianpasty

His best game in a city shirt for sure.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plsys much better in a 4
I think many of us assumed that because he started off as a left back playing at the left of a back 3 would suit Alex. However, like Pierce he does seem more comfortable in a pair.

IndoMike

I think many of us assumed that because he started off as a left back playing at the left of a back 3 would suit Alex. However, like Pierce he does seem more comfortable in a pair.
Maybe if you play in a back three there can be confusion about whose responsibility it is to deal with a certain situation - too many cooks spoil the broth. For example if the opponent or ball is moving in a line somewhere between centre back and left-side centre, back, which one goes for the ball? I think it really needs very good communication.
I know some don't agree with me, but I think 3 at the back is only necessary if we are going to play in a match where the opponents have really good attackers and/or we will expect to be under the cosh.
We should 't need 3 at the back when we play the lower teams

scottus86

Did well yesterday. Hartridge and Stubbs will be our first choice pairing next season. McArdle and Dyer as reserves I imagine.

I like Parkes and Sweeney, but I think Taylor will be looking for some fresh faces.

JCWhoosh

Might be a decent and 1st choice pairing when Stubbs comes back from infury.

arthur

Is it any coincidence that Hartridge's dramatic improvement in form and consistency has coincided with him playing alongside McArdle? Might he be learning more from him (for some reason) than he did from Sweeney and Parkes? It's a bit reminiscent of Steve Basham's nurturing of Adam Stansfield in the immediate aftermath of Mackie's departure down the A38

STURTZ

Is it any coincidence that Hartridge's dramatic improvement in form and consistency has coincided with him playing alongside McArdle? Might he be learning more from him (for some reason) than he did from Sweeney and Parkes? It's a bit reminiscent of Steve Basham's nurturing of Adam Stansfield in the immediate aftermath of Mackie's departure down the A38
Agree re Hartridge but think Adam Stansfield was already a fully formed footballer before pairing up with Basham.

budegrecian

I'm sure right about this. I said it earlier in the season: both Parkes & Sweeney are not that vocal. Whereas, McCardle is constantly talking to Hartridge, which surely helps his positioning & decision making.