• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I had thought this too. We seem to develop left sided defenders that can play in the centre of midfield, as JMT has done quite a bit this season for FGR.
Sir Rob of Edwards also did a good job there, in a different era...

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sir Rob of Edwards also did a good job there, in a different era...
I remember Noel Blake playing on the left wing once.

He didn't do a good job there.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was wondering whether Hartridge might make the less common move from defender to left sided midfield. He is big, reasonably quick, good on the ball, passes well. This would allow Collins to play further forward.
that's an interesting thought. I had similarly wondered whether he would make a useful wing back - when we play 3-5-2 Alex at furthest left of the 5 rather than of the back three, where he has played lately.

There is a still questions about both his best position and how good he is /will become. My recollection (could be wrong) is that he played left back when on loan to Truro as a teenager, but centre half for Bath last season. There is an interesting post on the MTD thread (post 502) by TPC saying that Hartridge makes too many (costly) errors to be a centre back. MT obviously doesn't see Hartridge as a left back because he doesn't play him there.

I really like Alex Hartridge but I think this season has told us that although he's already a useful member of the 18, but not ready/found his niche to be a regular starter.

IndoMike

that's an interesting thought. I had similarly wondered whether he would make a useful wing back - when we play 3-5-2 Alex at furthest left of the 5 rather than of the back three, where he has played lately.

There is a still questions about both his best position and how good he is /will become. My recollection (could be wrong) is that he played left back when on loan to Truro as a teenager, but centre half for Bath last season. There is an interesting post on the MTD thread (post 502) by TPC saying that Hartridge makes too many (costly) errors to be a centre back. MT obviously doesn't see Hartridge as a left back because he doesn't play him there.

I really like Alex Hartridge but I think this season told us that although he's already a useful member of the 18, but not ready/found his niche to be a regular starter.
For me this season he should be a stand-in left sided centre back when we play a back three. He needs more coaching and experience to be relied on as a regular centre back. I don't see him as a midfielder or left back. Time is on his side to become a regular in the team, though.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've been unsure about this lad however he is growing on me quickly. His concentration seemed to be his main problem and it was resulting in regular co(k ups however this is improving.

He has a lot going for him as a defender, he's quick enough, strong, decent in the air, good left foot and the added bonus of a great throw in.

I think the penny may be dropping for Hartridge, long may it continue, as things stand I'd pick him ahead of Parkes (when he returns from suspension).

LOG

Didn't put a foot wrong today (y)

STURTZ

Hope he can step up and become a leader on the pitch, still work needed, like to see him perform against decent opposition. Think Matt Taylor would be a great role model him, also think that currently he is learning a lot and working well with McArdle, always love to see an academy player graduate!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Second clean sheet for the pairing and long may it continue.

Legohead

Banned
He's done well yes, as have the makeshift back four, but it has to be said that i don't believe they've been really properly tested to any great lengths defensively by our last 4 opponents. Crawley only for about a 10 minute period after Parkes got sent off. Hartridge does look very promising though and seems comfortable on the ball and his distribution is frequently good.

ECFC89

Clearly has promise. Looking forward to see how he plays against an opposition that are decent, as he has come unstuck.