• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alex Hartridge

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
* I should note that I saw him play for Bath a fair few times so have seen him develop more as a player than I would usually do! Send more youth products this way MT 😂

C j phill

The first thing that stood out to be about Hartridge was his ability to genuinely be able to distribute the ball well. Not just safe passes which often results in people going crazy in league 2, but a mixture of being able to go long and short and have an incisiveness about those.

He has attacking instincts that are unusual in a CB. It was probably partly that that caused some mistakes as he his more of a risk taker than your average fourth division centre back. His decision making has improved massively as well as overusing his arms to win the ball back too eagerly.

I compared him to Ferdinand in a lower league sense which was met with derision but I do see similarities albeit not anywhere near that level. Coupled with his extra work in the gym to become a bit of a unit now, Championsho beckons surely. The rapid progress reminds a bit of Friend who was a bit dodge, followed by ok, then far too good for our level at the time.

Will make us more money than Archie Collins. Tag this post 😉.
In my opinion, he's our best defender by a mile, can find a forward pass, has a very sweet left peg and is on a par with George Friend in terms of best defender from the Academy.

Squeezebox

In my opinion, he's our best defender by a mile, can find a forward pass, has a very sweet left peg and is on a par with George Friend in terms of best defender from the Academy.
and a decent long throw!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you don't include Ampadu as a defender, then that's possibly the case, although I'd argue he's not as good as Storey yet.

Rosencrantz

Something in common with most of our young centre backs that come through the academy is to be quite aggressive with their defending. Not so much in a physical way, but to defend on the front foot. It must be an academy thing and works well in age group football. You can see in youth games, u23's and when they are loan that they tend to defend this way.

It can be susceptible against a long ball forward though which is more likely at lower league level so takes some adjustments, not just out on loan which will be a certain level, but also when they do break through to the first team when it steps up. Hartridge got caught a few times early on but has shown that adaption and is learning all the time. He will still probably get caught out on occasions, all defenders do. But the frequency is definitely going the right way.

Watching Alfie Pond at Tivvy yesterday was the same. Very aggressive in his defending but can get caught out positionally for a ball in behind. As well as the physicality of men's football, it will do Alfie good if he can learn the same adjustments as Alex but the main learning will come when he gets to first team level where you probably will see some mistakes initially. It's all about how quickly they learn and minimise those occasions.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
From where he was 12 months,it's been a remarkable progression.Although it's essential for the bank balance to produce players for Championship that will make us big money,we could do with bringing through even more players of L1 standard that will stay with the club and help us climb the League pyramid.

andrew p long

Matt Taylor clearly agreed as Alex had to wait 20 months between his third and fourth league appearances. As to your overall point, there's a middle ground between not good enough and destined to play at a higher level. At the moment Alex is playing well and fully deserves to be in the team but, personally, I think it's too soon to say whether he will kick on and attract big money bids in the future.
On the 'middle ground' (and at the risk of turning this into an Archie Collins thread, there are also those who go on to play at higher level without earning City a fee, moving when they turn 24 - Sercombe JMT etc (I don't include Pym as he is now in the Championship). I think of Archie as someone likely to be in League One eventually either with us or someone else.

I agree that Alex's level is not attracting bids yet, but if his rate of progress continues...

STURTZ

The best thing about Hartridge is just imagining the player he will be, tremendous talent.

Memphis09

The best thing about Hartridge is just imagining the player he will be, tremendous talent.
Have been really impressed with him this season
Has certainly developed and has been said here before defending you need to go out on loan and learn the physical side to the game

STURTZ

Players like Hartridges leave us and go on to have good careers whilst we all moan about losing our best prospects. Important to enjoy them whilst they are here.