• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Alan Beer and a great comeback....

Wuzbrer

Hi,
Barnsley fan here; trawling various sites and after footy chat lol. My first memory of Exeter was in 1977 and what I daresay is a great victory for the Grecians whilst simultaneously being a disaster for my home town club.
Aged 13 years old at the time; my lot went off to a standing ovation at half-time with three goals to the good. By the end of the game the familiar chant of "Iley Out" was to the fore, seat cushions were whizzing out of the Main Stand in the general direction of red shirted non de plumes, and Exeter were celebrating like mad!
I was wondering what anyone's take on this game is?
It certainly ended our feint hopes of promotion whilst guaranteeing Exeter progress.

IBA

"seat cushions were whizzing out of the Main Stand in the general direction of red shirted non de plumes", SEAT CUSHIONS?!!!!!
are you sure this was South Yorkshire 1977?

Wuzbrer

"seat cushions were whizzing out of the Main Stand in the general direction of red shirted non de plumes", SEAT CUSHIONS?!!!!!
are you sure this was South Yorkshire 1977?

Wuzbrer

:ROFLMAO::LOL:
Lol... For an extra 50p you could hire an oblong red plastic cushion with, if I remember correctly, the initials "BFC" written across them.
Back then our capacity was 38,500 with only 2,100 seats. I got hit on my forehead with one of those cushions! Be worth a mint now lol

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
How I remember that game. City 0-3 down at half-time, somehow came back in the second half to win 3-4. I remember Barnsley Chairman (and quite famous comedian) Charlie Williams saying in the press after the game: "It were a reet good match!". I remember Peter Springett was in goal for Barnsley. He couldnt hold a candle to his brother, Ron.

Banksy

Cor , oh to sign someone like Alan Beer now.

Spoonz Red E

How I remember that game. City 0-3 down at half-time, somehow came back in the second half to win 3-4. I remember Barnsley Chairman (and quite famous comedian) Charlie Williams saying in the press after the game: "It were a reet good match!". I remember Peter Springett was in goal for Barnsley. He couldnt hold a candle to his brother, Ron.
Did he drop it under pressure? ;)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cor , oh to sign someone like Alan Beer now.
And where did we sign him from -Weymouth, paired with Tony Kellow from Falmouth what a partnership.

Where are these non league gems nowadays

Colesman Ballz

And where did we sign him from -Weymouth, paired with Tony Kellow from Falmouth what a partnership.

David Wheeler wasn't a bad signing either !

Banksy

Probably some still there waiting to be scouted.