• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ajose

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
How does Ajose’s case compare with Jonathan Forte who I seem to remember was retired part way through the season a while back. Didn’t the latter retire under some sort of insurance deal and if Ajose is similarly crocked why can’t he do the same? Or will Ajose suddenly come to life again as soon as he signs for another team?
It stirred up memories for me of Neil Saunders who we carried for three years with injuries under dear old Tis way back when.Ironically didn’t he arrive from Team Bath with Taylor?
A costly lesson for Taylor in more ways than one.

IndoMike

I don't think there can be much doubt that Ajose is on (in Exeter City terms) loadsamoney.

The interview from MT on Ajose signing says (from 1.30 onwards)

'he's in demand'

'centre forwards don't come cheap'

'centre forwards who score goals don't come cheap'

'I have got to thank the Board for putting forward the budget..'
I'm sure Ajose's agent would have said "He's in demand". He /she wouldn't offer him with the words "Nobody wants him", would he/she?

manc grecian

How does Ajose’s case compare with Jonathan Forte who I seem to remember was retired part way through the season a while back. Didn’t the latter retire under some sort of insurance deal and if Ajose is similarly crocked why can’t he do the same? Or will Ajose suddenly come to life again as soon as he signs for another team?
It stirred up memories for me of Neil Saunders who we carried for three years with injuries under dear old Tis way back when.Ironically didn’t he arrive from Team Bath with Taylor?
A costly lesson for Taylor in more ways than one.
I think Forte would've put his long term health at risk if he carried on playing. It would seem that Ajose is happy sat there picking up his wages for the square root of **** all. Also if he retires I'm sure the terms of the policy would prevent him from playing again.

He probably can't move outside of the transfer window even more so with the conference looking like it's going to stop. We're stuck with him.

Trapdoor

The people who were delighted with this signing must be feeling pretty stupid now.

tavyred

The people who were delighted with this signing must be feeling pretty stupid now.
Not really. Every playing signing is a punt.

tonykellowfan

It's not new though, there have been plenty of pros who towards the end of their career do not train. Some managers are ok with this and some are not.

Craig Bellamy for example did not train at the end of his career which was down to knee problems.

Trapdoor

Not really. Every playing signing is a punt.
Not when the fans of every club he's been at since Swindon have said exactly the same thing.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Overall we have wasted a lot of cash on our front men. To be honest we have p1$$ed money away on Ajose, Fisher and Seymour, several thousand pounds a week. With Bowman possibly leaving in the summer we are likely to have a new batch of strikers, this could be exciting however Taylor is going to need to up his game in this department.

ExmouthMart

It's not new though, there have been plenty of pros who towards the end of their career do not train. Some managers are ok with this and some are not.

Craig Bellamy for example did not train at the end of his career which was down to knee problems.
But he wasn’t given a 3 year contract to see him into retirement. He was brought in to be the missing link and spearhead our strike force. He’s turned into a financial drain for us. I expect his wages have affected the salary cap as well.

Pete Martin (CTID)

The legend that is Logie was well reported to be one not to train much, nor well. He didn't particularly enjoy it. He also had issues with lack of confidence, bordering on agoraphobia, which he briefly alluded to in the interview on the club website a while back.

However, Logie gave his all as and whenever he could and did his absolute best whilst struggling with his own issues and inner demons.