• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

African Cup of Nations

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
It started yesterday with hosts Cameroon winning 2-1 against Burkina Faso and what, on paper, sounds like a surprising victory for Cape Verde (who knew they had an international side) against Ethiopia, 1-0. I'm currently watching the side I have most interest in, Zimbabwe, against Sadio Mane's Senegal. On paper Zimbabwe should get their backsides well and truly kicked but with less than 15 minutes to go they are holding on to a goalless draw. What always surprises me is how bang average the African 'stars' like Mane look when they play in The African Cup of Nations. You would think somebody like Mane would run these games from start to finish but so far has done little of any note.

grecIAN Harris

1-0 Senegal with a last second (and I really mean last second as that was all that was left on the clock when the foul was given) penalty from Sadio Mane.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember watching the last tournament and despite being a football anorak I found it a tough watch - very slow and really lacking in quality. Will give it a go though if there is a game on.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
With 4 x 1-0 results on the opening day I fear this year might be another tough watch.

grecIAN Harris

A farcical end to the Mali -Tunisia game this afternoon with the referee blowing for full time early not once but twice. The first time on 85 minutes of the game had been played.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
A farcical end to the Mali -Tunisia game this afternoon with the referee blowing for full time early not once but twice. The first time on 85 minutes of the game had been played.
I think I read somewhere that the referee for this game has previously been done for match fixing!

Alistair20000

I think I read somewhere that the referee for this game has previously been done for match fixing!
Seriously ?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seriously ?
Yeah, unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it but I did...hope that helps.

grecIAN Harris

The Comoros Islands are being forced to play their quarter final tie with Cameroon without a recognised goalkeeper. Their first choice keeper is injured and the other two in the squad have both gone down with Covid. Competitions rules state that if you have 11 fit players (regardless of position) the game goes ahead. It makes our Premier League rules on Covid look weak at best.

haka

Come on Ros!

Only 1 down at HT, 10 men and a left back in goal, what's not to love?