• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Afghanistan

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Like most people I think, I always thought Bush II was a bit of a clown, after watching the 9/11 documentary on BBC1 last night, Biden makes him look like a political colossus in comparison.
Why was Biden so angry in his speech yesterday? He came across as weird and borderline unhinged.

DB9

Like most people I think, I always thought Bush II was a bit of a clown, after watching the 9/11 documentary on BBC1 last night, Biden makes him look like a political colossus in comparison.
Why was Biden so angry in his speech yesterday? He came across as weird and borderline unhinged.
I think Biden's been "sheltered" since the election and this maybe the first time since then he's seen the wrath of the American people on the way the US left Afghanistan and his indifference to everything about it. Perhaps also he's realising he's not as popular as he thinks?

fred binneys head

Will the US be withdrawing from the ‘forever wars’ in Iraq and Syria in the next few weeks too? I know they’re reducing numbers in those places, but why leave Afghanistan so sharply, but not Iraq and Syria? Iraq has a far stronger government, army, infrastructure, etc than Afghanistan. You’re not allowed to mention oil in the answer.

tavyred

There’s been bumps in the road before, but it’s going to be interesting to see how the so called (and oft exaggerated) ‘special relationship’ with the US fares going forward. Apparently Biden is none too happy with the negative reaction he’s received from some British politicians and according to people who know him he is apt to hold a grudge. Couple that with the Pentagon negatively briefing against the U.K. and blaming us indirectly for the atrocities in and around Kabul Airport. Things ain’t looking too rosy for the transatlantic alliance. 🤷‍♂️

DB9

There’s been bumps in the road before, but it’s going to be interesting to see how the so called (and oft exaggerated) ‘special relationship’ with the US fares going forward. Apparently Biden is none too happy with the negative reaction he’s received from some British politicians and according to people who know him he is apt to hold a grudge. Couple that with the Pentagon negatively briefing against the U.K. and blaming us indirectly for the atrocities in and around Kabul Airport. Things ain’t looking too rosy for the transatlantic alliance. 🤷‍♂️
No huge trade deal coming soon either? Biden has always been less than enthusiastic about the so called Special Relationship, Normally for the UK it's Republicans that have closer ties with us when in office.

Oldsmobile-88

That was the line spun by sections of the media on both sides of the Atlantic after George W beat Al Gore in a close contest.
It was good that last nights excellent documentary Inside the Presidents War Room,put the story right about a few news outlets saying “where is the president” He wanted to get straight back to D.C,but in the confusion it was thought that Air Force One was a target.

tavyred

That was the line spun by sections of the media on both sides of the Atlantic after George W beat Al Gore in a close contest.
It was good that last nights excellent documentary Inside the Presidents War Room,put the story right about a few news outlets saying “where is the president” He wanted to get straight back to D.C,but in the confusion it was thought that Air Force One was a target.
It was interesting to see the ABC News anchor within minutes and hours of the attacks peddling the “where is our President” line. We are not best served by the media sometimes.
Over here it’s getting the same, one side of the MSM will paint Corbyn as a dangerous old Trot and the other BJ is a lazy feckless incompetent. Nuance is being lost.

Mr Jinx

I think Biden's been "sheltered" since the election and this maybe the first time since then he's seen the wrath of the American people on the way the US left Afghanistan and his indifference to everything about it. Perhaps also he's realising he's not as popular as he thinks?
Afghanistan is just a continuation of shambles.

Inward border migration has now surpassed 2 million with no sign of abating. Crime is going up. And now he has a mini Katrina to deal with.

I see Sleepy has pretty much distanced himself from last month's hasty retreat, last night hailing it as a rip roaring success whilst blaming everyone else under the sun for how it came about. And let's face it, all that's pretty much from the Trump playbook. Left leaning Dems must be quite aghast and I find that most amusing.

Honeymoon's very much over.

I still haven't come across anyone able to decipher his 'Man on the moon' CNN town hall ramblings from the summer. It quite clearly showed a man in not even the early stages of cognitive decline. Like a very drunk uncle at a wedding.

I noticed the odds on Trump winning in 2024 have come down from 10-1 six weeks ago to 4-1 now (tied with Biden and Harris). The Dems must hope they can get most of the new migrants on the books before this time in 3 years!

Alistair20000

I listened to one of Vernon Bogdanor's Gresham lectures on the wireless while driving home a few days ago. They are excellent and free on line. They can be watched at any time. This one was on the invasion of Iraq. Have to say it made me think again a bit about Bush and Blair's respective roles in the events.

All of his lectures are well worth listening to. They are fact and evidence based, impartially presented with the listener invited to draw his/her own conclusions. His own political views are never stated; apart from having voted remain in the Brexit referendum.

Back to Biden, I was quite staggered to hear him describe the withdrawal mission as a success. Reminded me of Tom Hanks in The Green Mile proclaiming that a botched execution was successful because the prisoner was dead. Furthermore, I have just read in the newspaper that he was appearing to be checking his watch at Dover AFB as the bodies from the suicide bomber attack were being returned home. If true absolutely shocking.

Not so much God Bless America; more God Help America.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
All of his lectures are well worth listening to. They are fact and evidence based, impartially presented with the listener invited to draw his/her own conclusions. His own political views are never stated; apart from having voted remain in the Brexit referendum.
I'd have thought in order to ascertain whether they are impartially presented, knowing his political views would be pretty essential.