• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Adam Stansfield Foundation BRFC Walk

logman

KEN'S CHARITY CHALLENGE FOR STANSFIELD FOUNDATION
Posted on: Wed 16 Feb 2011

Rovers director Ken Masters will be taking part in a gruelling West Country walk to raise money for charity.

At the end of March Ken will be walking between Bristol Rovers, Yeovil Town and Exeter City in memory of Adam Stansfield.

The Adam Stanfield Football Foundation has been set-up to support and encourage participation in youth football across the South West region.

The Foundation has been formed in memory of Adam who died on August 10 last year at the age of just 31 from bowel cancer.
Article continues
Advertisement

The walk will coincide with Rovers visit to Yeovil on April 2nd and Exeter's trip to the Memorial Stadium on April 9th.

Ken, whose wife has recently recovered from a major bowel operation, has wanted to do something to raise money for the Foundation for some time.

When he realised that Rovers were playing two of Adam's former teams in consecutive weeks, he decided that a walk around the West Country would be the perfect challenge.

Ken, 66, who has completed a number of running events over the years, wanted to do something that would provide him with a challenge.

He said: "This will be a big challenge, but it is for a very good cause.

"I was touched by the tragic death of Adam, who was struck down at such a young age, and wanted to do something in his memory.

"I am also heavily involved with the youth and community departments at Bristol Rovers, so I was also keen to do something that would benefit youth football in the South West.

"The fact that we were playing two of Adam's former teams in consecutive weeks seemed like too good an opportunity to turn down.

"I have already begun my training and been on a number of 10K walks to get myself warmed up. I am expecting to walk between 15 and 20 miles a day when I get going on the journey."

Ken will be setting off from Bristol on March the 30th and heading for Huish Park. He will then go from Yeovil down to Exeter and hopes to make it to St James Park on April 4th.

After meeting with members of the Adam Stansfield Foundation and Exeter City, Ken will begin the final leg of the journey - back to the Memorial Stadium in time for kick off on April 9th.

Berkley Coaches have kindly donated a mini bus to follow Ken on his journey, but he is now looking for supporters of all three clubs who can put him up on his walk around the West Country.

Because of time restraints, Ken will actually be walking past Yeovil and going back for the game, to give him more time to complete the next step of the journey in time.

He is currently looking for accommodation in and around; Chard on the Friday night(April 1st), Honiton on the Saturday, Exeter on the Sunday, Cullompton on the Monday, Taunton on the Tuesday, Highbridge on the Thursday and Weston-super-Mare on the Friday.

Ken said: "I would like to thank Berkley Coaches for donating the transport, because without them, this journey would not be possible.

"I would also like to appeal to any fans living along my proposed route that could offer me a bed for the night. I don't fancy having to sleep by the side of the road."

And although Ken will be embarking on the challenge alone, he would be grateful for any company along the way.

He said: "I don't expect anyone to come on this journey with me, but if anyone out there wanted to do one leg of the trip, or even just a few miles, then I would be very pleased to have some company."

Ken is hoping to link up with a couple of branches of the Bristol Rovers Supporters Club and hold fundraising evenings along the way. More details of this will be announced nearer the time.

Andy Cole, Chairman of the Adam Stansfield Foundation said "We are all very moved by the number of people wanting to raise funds for Adams foundation; we would like to thank Ken for his support and wish him luck with this challenge."

A Just Giving page will be set up shortly for those wishing to donate to the cause, but in the meantime, anyone who would like to offer donations or a bed for the night should contact Kirsty Pugh at the club on 0117 9542003 or email [email protected]

To find out more about the Adam Stansfield Foundation click here

ecfc01

I wish I could help with Accommodation in Taunton but I live a few miles out,
All the best and I wish you well for the lengthy journey and If any problems around the Taunton area I am more then willing to help. Yet again great work for a great foundation.