• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A tale of two Matts - Matt Taylors Exeter City v Matt Taylors Walsall preview and prediction thread

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
This Saturday sees us take on Walsall, who suffered a late comeback from Bristol Rovers on Saturday to lose 2-1 in the last ten minutes having led for most of the match 1-0. The loss pushes them down to 22nd in the division having won 2 (Stevenage and Mansfield Town) drawn 2 (Bradford and Scunthorpe!) and lost five with a total of 8 points from the first nine fixtures. They are yet to win away from home having lost to Tranmere Rovers on the opening day and also losing to Hartlepool Utd and Newport County, with a draw at Bradford. They have also played the Vegans and with Brizzle Rovers on Saturday their opening fixtures, like ours, haven't been the kindest so their position could be falsely represented (probable not though).

Their current form is reflected here https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england4

It was interesting and pleasing to hear and see (our) Matt Taylors disappointment in the result on Saturday which many of us think is a good point, bearing in mind Hartlepool's home record this season, and in a way it is a shame we didn't beat them, but we move on. No midweek match again this week, although wouldn't be surprised if one isn't arranged behind closed doors to get the two C's (Collins & Coley) closer to match sharpness as well as some of the fringe players some playing time as we are generally having a consistent team each week. As such I wouldn't expect many changes although I wouldn't be surprised to see Archie start instead of Kyle Taylor or Harry Kite (If he doesn't he will get more game time) So the hardest thing to predict really is the substitutes, where because we are playing at home I imagine Seymour to replace Kite:

Dawson
Sweeney Ray Hartridge
Key Dieng Collins Caprice
Jay
Brown Nombe

Subs
Lee Daniel Taylor Atangana Amond Edwards Seymour

Attendance 4947 with 376 coming from the Midlands

Score 5-0 to the Exeter, with a stunning first half display reminiscent of Brizzle Rovers with Nombe completing a hattrick in front of the Big Bank and Jay and Collins notching the others.

With the weather forecast predicting heavy rain this week as we move into Autumn it should be interesting to see how the pitch holds up over the coming weeks

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ah yes, flashbacks to one of the highlights of the summer - the number of betting companies who were convinced our manager was about to move to Walsall.

Anyway, there's only one Matt Taylor. The Pompey/ Walsall impostor will have to make do with being known as Matty Taylor.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh dear not all is well at Walsall, just had a look at their forum and there is a "Matty Taylor out" thread going which was started on Saturday and already has 270 responses, generally in agreement and also questioning higher up the heirarchy https://upthesaddlers.com/t/taylor-out/7023/20

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Grecian_Matt

How do you lose to Bristol Rovers?
If they can't beat Bristol they must be really s**t.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
How do you lose to Bristol Rovers?
If they can't beat Bristol they must be really s**t.
City on good form, visting in team in disarray - I think we've all seen this movie before. Excrutiating home defeat it is then.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I guess that it will all depend on which Matt manages to produce the best finish?
Here's praying for a "Duluxe" performance from the boys in the red tin!

andrew p long

I agree with the OP about the starting eleven (Collins in for Taylor).

Re the subs I would expect MT to repeat what he did on Saturday and include all the other midfielders (Taylor Atangana and Kite) at the expense of Seymour. Edwards and Amond is a decent set of attacking options on the bench.

Red Devon

Would like to see us start the game on the front foot more than we’ve done recently, and for the midfield to control the game more too....wouldn’t expect to see Ben Seymour back on the bench unless there’s an injury to Amond....Collins will probably start.

Avening Posse

Walsall are definitely shaky at the minute, so a good time to be playing them. They will no doubt be playing for a point and will park the bus, so patience will be important. I personally would not change the current team even if Collins has reached full fitness, he will get plenty of time over the season, but don"t change a successful team unless necessary