• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A tale of our times......

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
It has been a difficult year for us all as football fans - and for the club.

One of the downsides of all of this is the loss of the 'City football fix' to many of our young supporters, as well as their elders.

I know personally of one in particular. He will be 8 years old in May next year. When he was 6, he wanted to come and watch City after starting to play the game at school. Neither his father, nor his mother, had ever set foot in SJP and neither previously had any real interest in football. He persuaded his dad to bring him, back in 2018 and, on Boxing Day that year, he was a mascot and ran out with Archie Collins. He loved it and has loved it ever since. His dad became as enthusiastic as his son and, when she was free, his mum started coming too. They all loved their spot on the big bank and coming to watch City became a real family occasion that they all looked forward to.

None of them have season tickets because, ocassionally, dad has to work on Saturday afternoons and also mum, from time to time. Evening games are obviously problematic with a young school-aged child. The boy joined the Junior Grecians, but neither have taken out Trust membership thus far (and wouldn't have been gold members by now anyway, even if the had done so from day one). Consequently, they almost certainly have no chance of coming to SJP this season and are gutted. There are almost certainly others in the same boat and their situation is replicated at grounds throughout the country.

Hopefully things will improve before next season and the enthusiasm of these fans of the future doesn't abate.

dontpassback

Totally agree,these kids are the future of ECFC and hopefully they will be back soon cheering the grecians on,I was 10 when I first went always counted the days before the games,watching real live football was always special even if the results didnt always go city’s way

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let’s hope that the many supporters young & old who will probably not be able to visit SJP until August/September 2021 have not had the interest(& habit) broken by the enforced long break(18 months)
Particularly younger supporters.I suspect a large percentage of us were hooked at around ages 8-11.

It’s going to be a issue for all clubs of course,but more so at L1 & L2 level where the financial hit is more acute through the turnstiles.

A worry going forward is the potential issue of reduced capacity’s at grounds for a lot longer than anticipated.
Social distancing at stadiums will be around for a lot longer than many expect I fear.