• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A new keeper joins (Jonny Maxted)

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Play the kids! We've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

malcolms

Dislocated his knee in training. That explains why we had a youngster on the bench last night.
Did that once...horrible injury...

budegrecian

Play the kids! We've nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Ordinarily I'd agree with this but putting a 15 year old in goal is a big ask.
Interesting that Harry Lee was picked ahead of Jack Arthur. The boy (which is all he is) must be some prospect.
He may well play in the next EFL trophy game which will give us an indication of how ready he is.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Maxted is out long term, we will have to bring in someone, even on 3 month deal. If Ward gets injured we’d be screwed.
We have Jack Arthur and Harry Lee available as cover. If Ward is then injured, we would have to reassess and possibly use the emergency loan option.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have Jack Arthur and Harry Lee available as cover. If Ward is then injured, we would have to reassess and possibly use the emergency loan option.
I suppose but it’s a big risk if Ward went off in the 1st half of a game, to play a complete rookie.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It'd be good if we could have kept Dino Visser, he wanted to stay, but I guess the risk was a calculated one.. The rule about emergency GK loans is too inflexible and absolute, IMO.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
It'd be good if we could have kept Dino Visser, he wanted to stay, but I guess the risk was a calculated one.. The rule about emergency GK loans is too inflexible and absolute, IMO.
Completely agree about the Emergency Loan rules but those are the cards we are dealt.

Ash

We haven't trousered £4 million. It is less than that and being paid in installments.
3.93 million in installments if you want to be pedantic about it, my point is that we can afford an emergency keeper.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
3.93 million in installments if you want to be pedantic about it, my point is that we can afford an emergency keeper.
Plus the money for Chrisene.

andrew p long

The rule about emergency GK loans is too inflexible and absolute, IMO.
Absolutely. I understand why it became like that - otherwise clubs could get round the transfer window rules.

BUT the loan rules have got to change in the new economic environment. Last season City ended with three professional keepers, a goalkeeping coach and scholar(apprentice ) keeper. That's five full time salaries for one position. Unaffordable.

At the risk of going off topic, the same applies to outfield positions - on the current rules we have to have cover in every position in case someone gets injured with months to go to the next window. Clubs like City in League Two end up with squads of 30+. The loan and transfer rules have got to allow League Two clubs to be able to get by with only 20 players.