• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A message for Paul Tisdale

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
As the "performance" appears to have displayed all the qualities of a stale fart "vivified" is not le mot juste.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst reading the pre match article in the WMN, where Tis stated that although we haven't done well in derbies it's how we do all season that matters, I thought, in who's opinion?

journeyman

I agree with every word of Tis's post-match interview, we have to move on no matter how bad yesterday was (and it was bad). I'd have taken 3 wins from the next 3 games even if we lost yesterday and that's still the right course of action to take in my opinion.

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Whilst I accept some of the views posted after my OP, for me there is a big distinction here that Tisdale fails to grasp:

To lie down and be walked all over in any game is unacceptable.

But to do it in our derby with THEM is totally UNFORGIVEABLE.

If one manager says "just another game" and the other manager treats the Devon derby as one of the biggest games of the season then straight away one team's mentality and hunger is going to give them an advantage.

FAN-TATIC

Tisdale derby record is

Plymouth is 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses (Over our history it is 20 wins, 25 draws and 30 losses
Torquay is 2 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses (Over our history it is 42 wins, 36 losses and 37 losses)
Bristol Rovers is 2 wins, 2 draw and 3 losses (Over our history it is 26 wins, 30 draws and 27 losses)
So, under Tisdale we have done better against Argyle than we have against Torquay. Against Argyle, points wise he has taken 8/18, which is exactly what Argyle have done against us whilst Tisdale has been the manager. Pretty 'even steven' I'd say. But hey, let's not let facts get in the way.

Not one of you know what Tisdale said to the players before yesterday's game and neither do I. However, I don't believe for a single second that he stood in the away changing room at Home Park and said: "Right guys, do not believe all this crap about this being a big game, it's not bigger than any other one. "They are absolute crap, and this for you guys is a walk in the park." So, just go out there and take it easy, this one's in the bag boys."

Once the players go out onto the pitch and the game starts, every manager has to hope that they will play to the game plan and at the top of ther game. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen as a Burton (10 home wins on the trot) Albion found out yesterday in their local Derby.

As I said yesterday players are individuals, some will rise to the occasion, others will shrink under pressure. When that happens during a game there is little that any manager can do about it.

I predicted that we would lose yesterday's game, I did so, because Argyle were on a good run of form fighting for their Football League status, I just couldn't see us winning in these circumstances. There was too much at stake for them.

The game has gone and it's time to move onto the next one

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Tisdale's however to call his record in derbies as anything other than poor is a very rose tinted indeed.

We have to remember the past few years, we have seen about a poor an Argyle side that has ever existed. Rovers and Torquay (if we're counting them too) are equally as dire. There is more too it than just accepting it as 'even stevens'

FAN-TATIC

Whilst reading the pre match article in the WMN, where Tis stated that although we haven't done well in derbies it's how we do all season that matters, I thought, in who's opinion?
In his opinion, obviously. If we beat Plymouth home and away and finished bottom of League Two, I would have no satisfaction with that whatsoever.

Furthermore, I am reasonably certain that Sheridan, given the option of lose to Exeter and stay in the League, or beat Exeter and get relegated to the BSP, he would view it as a no brainer.

milts

Bit like your spelling mate !!

I really should proof read before clicking post!

In his opinion, obviously. If we beat Plymouth home and away and finished bottom of League Two, I would have no satisfaction with that whatsoever.

Furthermore, I am reasonably certain that Sheridan, given the option of lose to Exeter and stay in the League, or beat Exeter and get relegated to the BSP, he would view it as a no brainer.
I never understand these kind of comments - since when can we pick and choose certain results and final standings?

Argyle away is the biggest game of the season. The players should be fired up for this game more than any other game of the season.