• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A crossroads....

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
They have private owners, we are told time and time again that we shouldn't ever go back to that model after a couple of bad experiences in over 100 years...
A couple of bad experiences really? Here was me thinking our history is littered with clinging to our football league existence on numerous times and bankrupcy is mentioned as far back as the 20's if not earlier!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Definitely...but its called Covid. This year we have had basically no (or next to no) match day income. We have additional expenses for Covid precautions and spend even more on long away trips than usual (three coaches per game?)
Money is flying out the door. Yes the Watkins money is going to get us through this. But we still don't know when crowds will be allowed back in, what precautions, nor indeed the effect of the recession.
I'm not convinced we're taking three coaches per away game. I believe Sheffield Wednesday did this for the FA Cup game, but understood that this was as a result of the COVID outbreak in their camp.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
They have private owners, we are told time and time again that we shouldn't ever go back to that model after a couple of bad experiences in over 100 years...
Slightly underplays the reality. We've come within hours, if not minutes, of going out of business on more than one occasion. Far from convinced we'd have a Football League club now had the Trust not been around to pick up the pieces after the departure of Russell and Lewis.

logman

Benny in for Miss Diane.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A couple of bad experiences really? Here was me thinking our history is littered with clinging to our football league existence on numerous times and bankrupcy is mentioned as far back as the 20's if not earlier!
Saint you are absolutely spot on and it’s all written down in Mike Blackstone’s excellent book “Exeter City Down the Years”.

All of which proves, not withstanding the fact that we no longer own St James Park as such, we have never before been in such good shape financially.

ExmouthMart

Definitely...but its called Covid. This year we have had basically no (or next to no) match day income. We have additional expenses for Covid precautions and spend even more on long away trips than usual (three coaches per game?)
Money is flying out the door. Yes the Watkins money is going to get us through this. But we still don't know when crowds will be allowed back in, what precautions, nor indeed the effect of the recession.
Covid has obviously affected everyone and everything but hopefully my £3 a month will help with all that money flying out the door.... If we are looking to save costs maybe a player Manager might be the answer? Also if the pitch is pants and the squad is threadbare do you think thousands will flock back when some sort of normality returns?!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Benny in for Miss Diane.
As I recall Benny lodged with Sid Hooper. When Sid got married, he and his wife went to Sidmouth for their honeymoon, though sadly this wasn't shown on screen.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Covid has obviously affected everyone and everything but hopefully my £3 a month will help with all that money flying out the door.... If we are looking to save costs maybe a player Manager might be the answer? Also if the pitch is pants and the squad is threadbare do you think thousands will flock back when some sort of normality returns?!
Alternatively, if we don't scrimp and save there may be team for thousands to flock back to and watch.

ryancooper327

Be tough to compete this year when teams like Bradford can splash fees on L1 players like Vernam, especially in the Jan market. FGR brought in top players too, Carlisle did well too. We are doing ok but I expect lower half this season.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Only gone bust (or as good as) twice though right :sneaky: