• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A blessing in disguise that we failed to get promoted

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
😅
Anyway, I'm off soon to run free in the fields of Bali. I hop the police don't stop me.
Take care old mate. If they catch you they might take away your Maidenhead!

sign of the chimes

A bit of an eye opener tonight and if the standard of tonight’s football, particularly the second leg Wycombe v Fleetwood, is anything to go by my then yes we would have been struggling. Bearing in mind this was a knock out game there was no kick and rush and both teams played exciting push and run football. Me thinks we will have to do some serious rebuilding before we are going to be able to field a side capable of surviving at that level.

I will be amazed if Northampton survive playing the style of football that they do and do not think Argigle are going to find it that easy either.
We really noticed the difference when we went from League 2 to League 1. The standard seemed to improve significantly between us falling through it in to League 2 (2011/12) and getting back there five or so years later.

This may seem a bit obvious, but there's a big difference between the standard of the teams competing at the top of the league and those in the mini-league for survival (though if you'd watched us for large parts of the season or during the play-offs you might refute that claim). I watched Northampton in their three playoff matches and if that was indicative of their usual level then could see them being okay - some of the more 'cultured' sides struggle as you did when they come up against physical sides like that.

The Wycombe v Fleetwood matches were terrific viewing - unlike ours (and not just because of the result) - proper cup football (aided by the three goals in the first ten minutes in the first leg), rather than a chess match. I know Wycombe aren't to everyones liking due to their gamesmanship, etc. but what Gareth Ainsworth has achieved there over a sustained period of time and on one of the lowest budgets within the 72 FL clubs is incredible. I'd love to see him get a go at a bigger club.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
We really noticed the difference when we went from League 2 to League 1. The standard seemed to improve significantly between us falling through it in to League 2 (2011/12) and getting back there five or so years later.

This may seem a bit obvious, but there's a big difference between the standard of the teams competing at the top of the league and those in the mini-league for survival (though if you'd watched us for large parts of the season or during the play-offs you might refute that claim). I watched Northampton in their three playoff matches and if that was indicative of their usual level then could see them being okay - some of the more 'cultured' sides struggle as you did when they come up against physical sides like that.

The Wycombe v Fleetwood matches were terrific viewing - unlike ours (and not just because of the result) - proper cup football (aided by the three goals in the first ten minutes in the first leg), rather than a chess match. I know Wycombe aren't to everyones liking due to their gamesmanship, etc. but what Gareth Ainsworth has achieved there over a sustained period of time and on one of the lowest budgets within the 72 FL clubs is incredible. I'd love to see him get a go at a bigger club.
Ainsworth for Jackett then ? PUP

PS Thought that your fans happening to 'pass by' Wycombe delivering pallets was class support as usual - didn't know John Anthony Portsmouth Football Club Westwood has such a big bubble !

PPS Please feel free to stuff that sports club 40 mileish W of the Fair City Of Exeter twice next season !

Attachments

sign of the chimes

Ainsworth for Jackett then ? PUP

PS Thought that your fans happening to 'pass by' Wycombe delivering pallets was class support as usual - didn't know John Anthony Portsmouth Football Club Westwood has such a big bubble !

PPS Please feel free to stuff that sports club 40 mileish W of the Fair City Of Exeter twice next season !
I'd take that - though wouldn't be my first choice - but expecting KJ to be given full support over the next couple of days once the pitchforks have been put down and the flaming torches have burned themselves out. I've not been a fan from the off - very happy to have rational decision makers like Ken presiding over important things like running the country but prefer my football managers to have some of the character thatm unfortunately, seems to be more prevalent in politicans across the globe these days.

Westwood is a bit of a joke to many down here but appreciate he provides some colour for those who don't have to sit within 50 yards of him every other Saturday - the pallets did make me chuckle - however ridiculous the situation was!

Hopefully the club who shall not be mentioned will lose their manager over the summer - bit of destabilisation will do them some good.

IndoMike

Sexton has asked if not getting promoted is a blessing in disguise, For me no, It is important as a club in a pyramid league system we start each season to get as high as possible, Best case Auto, Next best case Play Offs, Unfortunatly we failed (Again!) so we must start again with the aim as to do the best as possible and those aims must remain the same each season. I would not want the club to say they didn't share this ambition too.

If we achieved it last Monday then its up to the club to have made a fair go of it to remain in L1, Not just the playing side but behind the scenes too. Money and attracting players would have been an issue, Even without this virus and will be whatever league we're in but should not be an excuse. It is no good nearly 20 years on from the days of R&L to say "We should be just glad we have a club to support" We all know that, Its been drummed into us for nearly two decades, We won't ever go back to that, We have a proccess now that it would be nigh on impossible for some chancer to get the club and plus we have nothing of value for anyone to make money, All we own is a registration held by the EFL i think.

As a club and a group of supporters our aim always is to get as high as possible, I'd imagine MT would not think this was a blessing in disguise, He's fuming and hurting still i think and will be until he gets back and starts on next season (When ever that will be) Next season is impossible to predict with what is going on outside of the clubs control and this constant reference to possible windfall money from Watkins is pointless until such time when or if he gets a big money move, In fact to me it looks very tacky people keep talking about it and makes us as supporters look very greedy if other fans started to read these boards.

So no Monday was NOT a blessing, It was a mare of a performance and one i do not want to see again in such an important game so our aim next season should be the auto's, I dont want to go through that again, I'll have to take it if it happens again mind. We are football fans of IMHO a great club and so should never aim for anything less the the best possible.
Excellent post.
In effect, what's the point in playing if we don't want the glory? Of course we must want promotion and take it gleefully if it happens. Then, what will.be will be.

Reactions: DB9

IndoMike

Take care old mate. If they catch you they might take away your Maidenhead!
Ah, many scores in the record book, bud.

Red Devon

Sexton has asked if not getting promoted is a blessing in disguise, For me no, It is important as a club in a pyramid league system we start each season to get as high as possible, Best case Auto, Next best case Play Offs, Unfortunatly we failed (Again!) so we must start again with the aim as to do the best as possible and those aims must remain the same each season. I would not want the club to say they didn't share this ambition too.

If we achieved it last Monday then its up to the club to have made a fair go of it to remain in L1, Not just the playing side but behind the scenes too. Money and attracting players would have been an issue, Even without this virus and will be whatever league we're in but should not be an excuse. It is no good nearly 20 years on from the days of R&L to say "We should be just glad we have a club to support" We all know that, Its been drummed into us for nearly two decades, We won't ever go back to that, We have a proccess now that it would be nigh on impossible for some chancer to get the club and plus we have nothing of value for anyone to make money, All we own is a registration held by the EFL i think.

As a club and a group of supporters our aim always is to get as high as possible, I'd imagine MT would not think this was a blessing in disguise, He's fuming and hurting still i think and will be until he gets back and starts on next season (When ever that will be) Next season is impossible to predict with what is going on outside of the clubs control and this constant reference to possible windfall money from Watkins is pointless until such time when or if he gets a big money move, In fact to me it looks very tacky people keep talking about it and makes us as supporters look very greedy if other fans started to read these boards.

So no Monday was NOT a blessing, It was a mare of a performance and one i do not want to see again in such an important game so our aim next season should be the auto's, I dont want to go through that again, I'll have to take it if it happens again mind. We are football fans of IMHO a great club and so should never aim for anything less the the best possible.
Worth an RT excellent post!

Reactions: DB9