• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

4-0 at Half Time!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't Flacky score a hatrick in the first twenty minutes, or summat crazy like that ?
The defending that day was arguably even worse than Rovers last Saturday.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Remember Reading in the seventies?
IIRC 4 0 down. Then 4 all. It suddenly dawned on a shell shocked Reading that despite having just conceded 4 goals they weren't actually losing, and they went on to win 6 4. Is this correct? But it wasn't in the seventies Shirley

wiveygrecian

IIRC 4 0 down. Then 4 all. It suddenly dawned on a shell shocked Reading that despite having just conceded 4 goals they weren't actually losing, and they went on to win 6 4. Is this correct? But it wasn't in the seventies Shirley
1993 this game as I was banned that season and missed both 6-4s that season

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Weren't we 3-0 down at half time in that one????? Or am I thinking of another game?
Well that's the one I was thinking of. Final year at Hele's and we had a chap who had come down from Barnsley a couple years earlier in our form. I think I was kind to him

les.gtfc

Big leads at half-time. The one that still sticks out for me is in our promotion season 1978/79. We were 6-0 up at half-time v Darlington. We went on to lose the 2nd half 2-1.

Also the week before that we'd beaten Bradford 5-1 so we were really on fire over those couple of Saturdays.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We went four nil up in about 20 minutes. 70s.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Remember Reading in the seventies?
From memory that was 4-1 at HT...75/76 iirc.

Squeezebox

I remember being 4-0 down at half-time away at Carlisle midweek many years ago. Peter Beardsley was playing for them.

Ian Tarr

Here's one I had to look up!
Division Four, Wednesday October 1st, 1969:
Exeter City 6 Swansea City 0!
It's listed as 6-0 at half-time.
I remembered it as 6-1, and 5-0 at half time, so it shows the old memory is beginning to go.
Team: Peter Shearing; Campbell Crawford, Steve Morris; Graham Parker, Brian Sharples (sub: Jimmy Giles), Mike Balson; Johnny Corr, Jimmy Blain, John Wingate, John Mitten, Bruce Walker.
Scorers: Blain 2, Corr 2, Wingate, Mitten.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As Wivey says it was 1993 but it was 4-1 to Reading and we came back to 4-4. That was the game where Andy Gosney made his one and only appearance for us in goal. Utterly dreadful and he ended his career but injuring himself when trying to clear the ball. He produced an air kick and tore his ligaments.

We then beat Fulham 6-4 a month or two later.