• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

29th May 1985

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
29/05/1985.

Today marks 35 years since the Heysel tragedy.

76560E23-616C-4877-9D4F-F6657C753DFC.jpeg

Rosencrantz

29/05/1985.

Today marks 35 years since the Heysel tragedy.

View attachment 2749
I remember being 10 years old and not really understanding why we couldn't see the pictures as they stuck to the studio and wondering (and hoping) when the game was going to start. It's incredible that they took the decision to play although it can be seen as the easy way out (don't want more trouble) rather than the correct one.

Oldsmobile-88

I remember I was working in Wrafton in North Devon installing Warm Air Units & was looking forward to getting back to watch the game.
I expected to get back in time as the 1st half was progressing.No radio in my van,I had no idea that the KO had been delayed.Switched the TV on to be greeted by reruns of scenes on the terrace from earlier.
It was still not certain the game would go ahead at that time.
How the players managed eventually to go through the motions of the game I will never know.

DB9

Thus leading to a ban for English clubs in Europe, We've never really dominated Europe like we did before the ban

Oldsmobile-88

Thus leading to a ban for English clubs in Europe, We've never really dominated Europe like we did before the ban
A shame for Everton who were due to complete in the European Cup.With the squad they had they had a great chance of winning it.
They had already picked up the ECWC in May 1985.

I think the English clubs being banned for eventually 5 years(it was indefinite)was the catalyst for the formation of the Premier League.
It gave the bigger clubs in the old 1st Division time to take stock of the TV deals,how the cash was shared & where the Football League was going,rather than think about European qualification.
There was not a TV deal in place for the 85/86 season,TV companies were hardly falling over themselves to offer top dollar for what was seen as a tainted product.

It seemed a long road back from those dark days.
A half decent WC in Mexico was a start for the game.
It had not fully recovered until Italia ‘90 & was not knocked off course by Hillsborough,which in a odd way pulled football together.Something that was missing for most of the decade.

DB9

A shame for Everton who were due to complete in the European Cup.With the squad they had they had a great chance of winning it.

I think the English clubs being banned for eventually 5 years(it was indefinite)was the catalyst for the formation of the Premier League.
It gave the bigger clubs in the old 1st Division time to take stock of the TV deals,how the cash was shared & where the Football League was going,rather than think about European qualification.
There was not a TV deal in place for the 85/86 season,TV companies were hardly falling over themselves to offer top dollar for what was seen as a tainted product.

It had not fully recovered until Italia ‘90 & was not knocked off course by Hillsborough,which in a odd way pulled football together.Something that was missing for most of the decade.
Pretty well sums it up Olds (y)

Rosencrantz

It still sticks in the craw of Evertonion's to have the opportunity of competing in the European Cup with the best chance ever of success taken away after a largely trouble free campaign themselves in the Cup Winner Cup including two trips to Holland and one to Munich. After what happened at Heysel, with all the previous trouble though, it was hard to argue.

It is arguable though that it had any major effect on hooliganism. Rather it was Hillsborough and the Taylor Report, the boost of Italia 90 (which still had its share of trouble in spots) to the popularity of the game in England and (love it or hate it) The Premier League and football returning to entertainment and the national game rather than the national embarrassment. By the end of Euro 96, the rehabilitation was largely complete.

fred binneys head

Shame for Wimbledon too, who won the FA Cup in 1988.

Oldsmobile-88

Shame for Wimbledon too, who won the FA Cup in 1988.
Yep...Oxford United too,League Cup winners 1987.They would have gone into the UEFA Cup.

StroudGrecian

It still sticks in the craw of Evertonion's to have the opportunity of competing in the European Cup with the best chance ever of success taken away after a largely trouble free campaign themselves in the Cup Winner Cup including two trips to Holland and one to Munich. After what happened at Heysel, with all the previous trouble though, it was hard to argue.

It is arguable though that it had any major effect on hooliganism. Rather it was Hillsborough and the Taylor Report, the boost of Italia 90 (which still had its share of trouble in spots) to the popularity of the game in England and (love it or hate it) The Premier League and football returning to entertainment and the national game rather than the national embarrassment. By the end of Euro 96, the rehabilitation was largely complete.
It was the rise in popularity and availability of ecstasy that did for hooliganism as I remember it.

Not that I was involved in either, o course.