• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

***** 23rd March **** Your neighbours need your support - Torquay United in peril

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see two useful strands to follow.

[1] Bring exposure to the activities of and any undelivered promises made by your owners - both with Torquay Utd and other ventures. Timelines, key players, critical decisions made, examples of previous misinformation and/or undelivered outcomes etc. It would be useful to seek out those with journalistic and research skills within your group. Push the owners harder to justify their current position.

[2] Develop your campaign to provide a clear idea to others of your own aspirations for the Club as an alternative to the current situation.

When we first took over ECFC we had to deal with the Club's toxicity as it was then. Concerted efforts and an honest approach by us - including bringing Russell & Lewis to book - helped to put the foundations down for repairing our wider reputation.

Now is the time to get others from your local community on your side. Demonstrate that the decline of your Club is more than just a few supporters being unhappy. Demand change but show positivity.

None of this is easy - it wasn't for us in 2003 - but I wish you all the best.

The starting point for that wider involvement now is to not let the current Torquay owners paint you lazily as the 'enemy at the gate'.

Average Joe

If a number of Grecians were to come down to support us in protest on the 23rd March, and likewise Argyle came along too, is it naive to think this can happen without incident, appreciating the intense rivalry between you both.

I'm sorry but this just won't and can't happen.

The hatred is true!

10th of November 2010, first game away in plymouth for eight years..

That night was horrific, it was a scene out of a movie, bus windows smashed, kids crying, rocks being thrown, no police in the car park.

I've never forgiven Argyle fans for what I witnessed that night.

This set a bad tone for all future away games for us at Home Park

I wish your club well but asking Plymouth and Exeter fans to get together in a stadium to protest is absolutely mad.

PeteUSA

The hatred is true!

That night was horrific, it was a scene out of a movie, bus windows smashed, kids crying, rocks being thrown, no police in the car park.

I wish your club well but asking Plymouth and Exeter fans to get together in a stadium to protest is absolutely mad.
You're probably right about Argyles non participation, but we've had an excellent relationship with The Gulls over a long period. I wouldnt rule out doing something to help them. Mike Bateson made a wonderful gesture towards us when we were in financial dire straights. I feel we owe them in some way.

denzel

The hatred is true!

That's as may be, but the sort of people wanting to help Torquay aren't going to be putting bricks through a bus. 99% of fans are reasonable, we even had a minutes applause for Gordon Sparks!

SaintJames

You're probably right about Argyles non participation, but we've had an excellent relationship with The Gulls over a long period. I wouldnt rule out doing something to help them. Mike Bateson made a wonderful gesture towards us when we were in financial dire straights. I feel we owe them in some way.
Once Osborne and his crony Johnson are out of the way yes I would like to think we will in some way. However, whilst TUFC is being run by those two it will never happen

CityTillIDie

I bloody hate Torquay and have heard many bad stuff about their fans, and the less said about the argyle lot the better. Always found their strange love affair between both sets of fans hilarious as well. However I can put rivalry aside for the bigger footballing picture and you will have my full support, don’t think I would do the same for argyle though.

denzel

Once Osborne and his crony Johnson are out of the way yes I would like to think we will in some way. However, whilst TUFC is being run by those two it will never happen
Didn't Johnson want us kicked out of the Conference when he was Yeovil manager? Yes, he can do one

i8cornwall

I think I'll give it a pass, thanks for the offer though... I think.

Happy for you guys to come and support us if it really does go t*ts up, and you lot are playing Exmouth in a couple of seasons.

Grecian Max

I paid my money already this season to watch Bath at Plainmoor

Club needs reforming, it's on it's arse and you'd be better off starting again at the rugby club

The owner is running it into the ground deliberately and Torquay are now so low you may as well start again with a clean slate