• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2021 Trust Board Hustings 17:30 2nd October

Matt Phillips

Interesting that none of the participants in this year's election have bothered to come on here to answer questions.

If people can't turn up for hustings for what ever reasons and I'm sure there all valid but are these people really fit to represent you on the trust board or are they going to have the time to give there best to the trust, not sure they are
Hi i8. I did actually reply on the Trust election thread with abit of an intro, and an offer to answer any questions thrown my way.

I was one of the candidates who couldn't attend the hustings (something I also mentioned in the other thread, and was hopefully explained in the intro I submitted to be read out at the hustings) as a result of attending one of my closest friends stag-do's. The Trust is something which I do consider extremely important, but compared to a valued friendship I've had for over 20 years, which I already committed to far in advance of even deciding to stand, it wasn't a close call!

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding my standing on this threat. Given, as you mentioned no other's have commented on this forum, I don't feel the need to start a seperate thread, unless you think it better to.

Also, I'll re-attach the link to the candidate manifesto's (https://www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk/election-candidates-2021) and the candidate Q&A responses which went up over the weekend (https://www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk/candi)

i8cornwall

Hi i8. I did actually reply on the Trust election thread with abit of an intro, and an offer to answer any questions thrown my way.

I was one of the candidates who couldn't attend the hustings (something I also mentioned in the other thread, and was hopefully explained in the intro I submitted to be read out at the hustings) as a result of attending one of my closest friends stag-do's. The Trust is something which I do consider extremely important, but compared to a valued friendship I've had for over 20 years, which I already committed to far in advance of even deciding to stand, it wasn't a close call!

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding my standing on this threat. Given, as you mentioned no other's have commented on this forum, I don't feel the need to start a seperate thread, unless you think it better to.

Also, I'll re-attach the link to the candidate manifesto's (https://www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk/election-candidates-2021) and the candidate Q&A responses which went up over the weekend (https://www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk/candi)
Hi Matt

I hadn't seen that so apologies but other then yourself it's not great is it?

Like I said I'm sure people's reasons where valid and important to them, I'm not a member of the trust so your not winning or losing my vote regardless.

I do have two questions that again are not winning or losing my vote:

1) I see you are based in Manchester which is a great city but not exactly local to Exeter, how many home games do you attend? I only ask as I'm a member of a supporters club (C20) and speaking to trustee's to ask questions or sort problems out in person is much easier then with someone who is a few hundred miles away.

2) I see you mentioned the issues at Bury (as a fan base we seem to use bury as the reason to worry about everything), but don't mention privately owned clubs who are well run, successful on and off the pitch and pillars of there community in Bolton and Accrington. Do you agree that actually these things can be done and our ownership model probably isn't the envy of most fans below the championship?

Hope you had a great stag do and not to hungover from it.

Cheers I8

Matt Phillips

Cheers i8, and no worries on missing it before.

1) The honest answer is not many. This season I'll be down for the game after the AGM (Newport), a couple of Christmas, and then as and when I come down to see family. If elected though, I would try to get to as many trust board meetings as possible, which (assuming they're scheduled after home games) will increase my attendance.

I think that the Trust's engagement with groups is really important, and there's some great candidates and current members who are very available to fans. I know that I probably won't tick that box, but for me - the Trust Board needs a mix of skills, and mine are much more focused on strategy, finance and governance.

Also, I think it's really important that the Trust does more to reach out to people such as yourself, who aren't Trust member to understand the reasons why and what would get you involved, especially when linked to a supporter group like C20 (who were brilliant at Scunthorpe btw!).

2) I'm an Actuary which means I'm can be quite risk averse. My concern is that you see more failures than successes, but maybe that just because they become a bigger story. That being said, Andy Holt at Accrington seems a rare breed. Local connection, good business, money to spend. He wants to make them self-sufficient, but I'd imagine he's sunk a hell of alot of cash into the Club. If we could find someone as sympathetic to the Club and community as he is, then brilliant. But if so, what's stopping them from partnering with the Trust on an equal ownership basis? If someone has no self-interest, and wants to invest for the good of the Club, then they shouldn't need to remove the Trust from it's running

Ultimately, fan ownership is a preference based on how I percieve our Club versus others. But similar to my answer about a potential out-of-city stadium move (in the candidate Q&A), if robust due diligence is performed and came back positive, it would be remiss of the Trust to not consider anything.

i8cornwall

Thank you for your reply Will, I don't wish to derail this thread or take it off its original subject so I'll leave it here after this post.

As a group C20 has a great "working" relationship with one trustee and they are well thought of by ourselves and there efforts are hugely appreciated but as I've said before we are always open to talking to anyone because they will have different skills and there is only so much one person can do, not that our needs are currently that great.

With regards to me ever joing our trust, I can't see it. Ultimately as I have said 100's of times on here the trust doesn't represent me nor address my frustrations/growing dissolution. For example all I get is the usual XYZ strategy might get us promoted but if not isn't our academy great, isn't it great we aren't bury, I should be grateful there is still an Exeter City because when I was 10 it nearly went tits up etc.

If the trust and yourself as a potential future trustee want to get a wider range of people involved with the trust and for them to interact with the trust then all I'd say is not everything should be talk of "sustainability/community/more of the same/distant future, it's starting to grow boring and putting people off, maybe appeal to the "average match going football fan" at the club, ask them what they want to see and then actually do it in a realistic time frame, empower them to make votes on subjects and issues after all the trust now has an online voting system (that it took months to trail even after I'd pointed out just ask Clapton Community how it works for them), that would be the best way to make the trust work for everyone and not an increasingly narrow section of our support.

sadly again no one running for election fits that bill and I'd imagine it'll be at least another 12 months of the same for the trust.

Like I've said your not winning or losing my vote so good luck on your campaign.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cheers i8, and no worries on missing it before.

1) The honest answer is not many. This season I'll be down for the game after the AGM (Newport), a couple of Christmas, and then as and when I come down to see family. If elected though, I would try to get to as many trust board meetings as possible, which (assuming they're scheduled after home games) will increase my attendance.
why are you assuming that the trust meet after a home game? Most trust meetings are in midweek away from games as they can take a number of hours - they may choose to remain virtual but I doubt they’ll ever be on a Saturday evening

worth noting that a number of trust board reps are involved in match day activity - something that has always make match day a long day before any foolish assumptions

did you research this before applying?

Matt Phillips

why are you assuming that the trust meet after a home game? Most trust meetings are in midweek away from games as they can take a number of hours - they may choose to remain virtual but I doubt they’ll ever be on a Saturday evening

worth noting that a number of trust board reps are involved in match day activity - something that has always make match day a long day before any foolish assumptions

did you research this before applying?
I meant on the Monday after... I was on the Trust board from 2015-2017, and would regularly plan weekend's to Exeter to attend a Trust Board meeting on the Monday (taking time off work to do so) as well as getting the benefit of being able to make the game on the Saturday. Monday's were the chosen day of the week at the time, in part to benefit exiles such as myself and Neil Le Milliere (although I can't say I enjoyed driving back to Manchester in the dead of night after a 4 hour meeting with half the M6 closed!). If this has changed and meetings are now on a range of days, then that will make things more difficult for me... but I'm keen to get to Exeter as much as possible.

If attendance at home fixture's and being available on a matchday is the critical component of a Trustee in your eyes, then I'm not your candidate, and I'm happy to accept that. Ultimately, the candidates who get elected will be the ones who resonate most with the members. I'd like to think that I offer something that would be of benefit to the Trust, but if people don't feel that way, then so be it. It's great to see a range of people with different views standing, and that there are options for people to pick from - which historically hasn't always been the case!

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for the clarification - that really wasn’t clear from your original post.

I wish you well- I haven’t yet decided how I’ll vote and was hoping to use the hustings as a help

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I had an idea who I would vote for. Sadly those not turning up for the hustings has made me think again.

Matt Phillips

Thanks for the clarification - that really wasn’t clear from your original post.

I wish you well- I haven’t yet decided how I’ll vote and was hoping to use the hustings as a help
After reading it back, I agree. Apologies for the confusion. It's been a long weekend 😴

If anyone has any other questions, please fire away!

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
There was one who was never getting my vote whether they turned up or not. I'll be thinking very carefully about where my vote will be going now