• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2021 Trust Board Hustings 17:30 2nd October

HUFC1885

Cheers i8, and no worries on missing it before.

1) The honest answer is not many. This season I'll be down for the game after the AGM (Newport), a couple of Christmas, and then as and when I come down to see family. If elected though, I would try to get to as many trust board meetings as possible, which (assuming they're scheduled after home games) will increase my attendance.

I think that the Trust's engagement with groups is really important, and there's some great candidates and current members who are very available to fans. I know that I probably won't tick that box, but for me - the Trust Board needs a mix of skills, and mine are much more focused on strategy, finance and governance.

Also, I think it's really important that the Trust does more to reach out to people such as yourself, who aren't Trust member to understand the reasons why and what would get you involved, especially when linked to a supporter group like C20 (who were brilliant at Scunthorpe btw!).

2) I'm an Actuary which means I'm can be quite risk averse. My concern is that you see more failures than successes, but maybe that just because they become a bigger story. That being said, Andy Holt at Accrington seems a rare breed. Local connection, good business, money to spend. He wants to make them self-sufficient, but I'd imagine he's sunk a hell of alot of cash into the Club. If we could find someone as sympathetic to the Club and community as he is, then brilliant. But if so, what's stopping them from partnering with the Trust on an equal ownership basis? If someone has no self-interest, and wants to invest for the good of the Club, then they shouldn't need to remove the Trust from it's running

Ultimately, fan ownership is a preference based on how I percieve our Club versus others. But similar to my answer about a potential out-of-city stadium move (in the candidate Q&A), if robust due diligence is performed and came back positive, it would be remiss of the Trust to not consider anything.

First I would like to thank you for standing, I do have a question when you were last on the Trust board how many meetings did you actually attend and what number did you miss. If your not successful will you stand next year, if you do get on what number of meeting will you look to attend.

Matt Phillips

First I would like to thank you for standing, I do have a question when you were last on the Trust board how many meetings did you actually attend and what number did you miss. If your not successful will you stand next year, if you do get on what number of meeting will you look to attend.
I'm not sure the exact number off the top of my head, and meeting minutes are no longer available on the website. I believe that I only missed 1 or 2, but it was probably about 50/50 whether I attended in person, or dialled in. The latter was never easiest, but I'd like to think that the pandemic has accelerated the technology available! I was also a member of the Finance & Governance Group, where I dialled in to most meetings.

I'd never choose to miss a meeting without a good reason, and that would be my intention. When previously on, I know I missed one due to being on holiday. I imagine I might have missed another at some point due to a work commitment, but I can't remember.

Regarding next year, it's too early to say! I would have to see what the outcome was this year and personal circumstances can always change.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't have an update myself - it was just said at the meeting the video would be up soon.
I understand that the Hustings video is currently being edited for presentation and should be uploaded to the trust's YouTube channel tomorrow (Tuesday 5 Oct 21).
UTC