• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

20 Years of Trust

Martin Weiler

Good post.

For me, League One regulars with an emphasis on retaining our good gates would be what I’d consider success.

Personally, given the city's potential I think we have underachieved for much of our history. We are the 58th biggest city with a bigger catchment area than similar sized towns/cities and is fairly affluent, if not more so than when I was growing up here. People are willing to part with their hard earned to watch the club on a regular basis when we are perceived to be at a certain level as shown in our attendances.

If the Trust can achieve that with regularity and not be almost solely reliant on player sales then I'd be happy to keep it as is - however my big doubt is that we continue to gamble on that second part which will ultimately lead to drawn out leaner years. That would feel like a backwards step to me.
There is little doubt that part of the context of City’s recent success is that it matches a period when the city is growing both in population terms and wealth. This is a real opportunity. Indeed the city is predicted to be the fastest growing in the country by the end of this year:

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
There is little doubt that part of the context of City’s recent success is that it matches a period when the city is growing both in population terms and wealth. This is a real opportunity. Indeed the city is predicted to be the fastest growing in the country by the end of this year:

This doesn't surprise me at all - coming back to live here after 18 years the place is noticeably different in a way I'd perhaps not seen on my short trips to SJP and my parents house

And this is where I take issue with the idea that "we are what we are" or "we have always struggled, be happy with your lot" when it's not a static thing at all. There's a good amount of examples of clubs becoming bigger and increasing their base through success at higher levels.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
You’re thinking along the same lines as me.

I think there’s a long way to go with the Trust model. The Trust has got the club to a very good place but the club has outgrown the Trust in professionalism terms (e.g. the poster on here who had nothing but a bland acknowledgement on joining). That’s a problem but one that can be solved IMO.

The Trust could employ a marketing/customer services manager to improve the comms and ‘customer experience’. We need to think about persuading people to join and stay rather than back in the day when us originals did it to enable the club to survive. We’re not in survival mode anymore and our brand is as positive as it has ever been.

A few simple campaigns could be put in place to increase revenue for starters:-

1. Appeal to existing members to increase their subs by way of an additional ‘donation’ monthly.

2. Canvas for new members at home games, how many times have charities tried to accost you on the high street to set up a regular donation. Here we’re asking people already warm to the cause

3. Offer businesses an attractive offer to sign up for Corporate Membership. The Trust accounts show a really modest input on Corporate Membership at present

Once Trust revenue is increased and stabilised it then enables a sound platform to partner with the club to strengthen their hands on development projects e.g. filling in the corners of the ground and enhancing match & non match day offerings.

We (Trust Members) are the owners so it’s incumbent on us collectively to drive progress forward
I think [1], [2], and [3] already happen to some extent. Of course, there might well be room for improvement but, it seems to me, at best these kind of initiatives raise 10s of thousands per year. Of course, that's not to be sniffed at but if the club wants to move to the next level – and have a chance of remaining there – then I think we need to be thinking in terms of how to generate six if not seven-figure sums.

Martin Weiler

Good news at Southend but a reminder of the way other models can threaten the very existence of clubs:

Colesman Ballz

Good news at Southend but a reminder of the way other models can threaten the very existence of clubs:

Given everything that has gone on under Martin's tenure, it seems a tad premature to think that "it's all over", there are a number of hurdles to still get over. Will the judge at tomorrows winding-up order hearing accept this ? Will the new consortium pass the fit and proper owners criteria ? And finally will the sale actually happen as stated, given Martin's endless "ducking and diving" over the years ? For Southend fans sakes I hope that it does end on a bright note, and that a change in ownership brings a brighter future.

WXF

There’s no issue with a debate over our future ownership model, our current model should be robust enough to handle it. I’m a Trust stalwart but we have to be mature enough, and confident enough in our convictions, to be debated with and challenged.
While the issue has been explored almost to death, I haven’t objected to discussing ownership but a narrative involving inaccurate claims about ways fan stewardship supposedly inhibits us. Healthy debate isn’t just upheld by free enquiry, but also vigilance towards misinformation.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just seen Josh Stone (once a Trust member) on the One Show - if we could get Josh to rejoin with Dave Stewart & that other Exonian Chris Martin my God we could be cooking on Gas !
UTC

iscalad

Just seen Josh Stone (once a Trust member) on the One Show - if we could get Josh to rejoin with Dave Stewart & that other Exonian Chris Martin my God we could be cooking on Gas !
UTC
I presume you mean the lovely Joss Stone. For all we know she may pay monthly by direct debit and still be a member.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I presume you mean the lovely Joss Stone. For all we know she may pay monthly by direct debit and still be a member.
When you click on members on our new Trust system Stone doesn't show up sadly

Pete F

Don't forget today is the last day for nominations if you would like to be a ECFCST Trustee, www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk/agm-election-2023