• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

11th May 1985.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The 35th anniversary of a dreadful day,which sometimes gets forgotten about around this time.
56 fans burned to death at Bradford & not forgetting a 15 year old boy who was killed at St Andrews,Birmingham on the same day.

What a dreadful few days & there was more bad news & tragedy at Heysel a few weeks later.

Below is a excellent article from The Independent In 2015 about the fire at Bradford.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

F111A2B7-27B8-438C-ACD4-59B4CB33A63F.jpeg4D9D5284-2D95-4E6C-9D6E-CEB84D99012F.jpeg

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
So many youngsters. Includes two Lincoln supporters as well, Stacey and West.

Oldsmobile-88

Four members from the same family.3 generations ☹

Lots of grounds were not in great condition in lower divisions back then.The irony being with Bradford being promoted to the 2nd Division the ground would have needed a Safety Certificate,the stand would have had to be replaced.It just needed to see out another 50 minutes of football.

Only a couple of months before the tragedy a floodlight pylon had been blown over at Valley Parade.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
I remember it well. It was my 23rd birthday and City had just lost 1-0 at home to Tranmere in front of a sparse crowd. Half a dozen or so of us went back to the Clifton to have a few bevvies and play pool. One of our number had a radio and as the awful news filtered through we all felt bad.
With regard to the Heysel disaster, a couple of mates and I had attended the Belgian cup final in the previous season (Gent beat Standard Liege 2-0). The state of the ground and segregation that day was criminal. Heads at UEFA should have rolled for choosing that venue for a European cup final.

Oldsmobile-88

With regard to the Heysel disaster, a couple of mates and I had attended the Belgian cup final in the previous season (Gent beat Standard Liege 2-0). The state of the ground and segregation that day was criminal. Heads at UEFA should have rolled for choosing that venue for a European cup final.
Indeed...It was easier for UEFA to blanket ban all English teams for the foreseeable future at the time to deflect criticism of their role in the disaster.

Iirc,it was possible to buy tickets on the day for the game which added to the powder keg.