• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

‘Her Game Too’ Exeter City v Newport County Matchday Thread

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes it was a poor effort from a good position. So frustrating.
Also could have squared it to MJ who had dropped back for tap in

RichCounty27

All over. Could have won it if not for 2 very soft goals being conceeded.
We could say the same! We gave Matt Jay the freedom of Devon to amble his way through and pass it past the keeper. It was like he had a force field so none of our players could get within 10m of him. Your second was poor defending and he shouldn't have been allowed a shot. We were pretty poor too. It all equals out.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We could say the same! We gave Matt Jay the freedom of Devon to amble his way through and pass it past the keeper. It was like he had a force field so none of our players could get within 10m of him. Your second was poor defending and he shouldn't have been allowed a shot. We were pretty poor too. It all equals out.
It was quite surprising just how much space and time Matt Jay had. I was expecting a tackle to come in or at least a decent save from the keeper.

Trapdoor

Your keeper didnt make 2 absolute howlers. MJs shot he maybe should have saved but it would have been a good save if he had made it. Dawson for us will be furious he didnt keep those shots out and 99 times out of 100 would have saved both.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was quite surprising just how much space and time Matt Jay had. I was expecting a tackle to come in or at least a decent save from the keeper.
If their defender backed off MJ anymore he would have ended up in Deben..sorry John Lewis's 😉

Smithyno6

I was a bit frustrated to see that when we scored our equaliser, Taylor reverted back to three at the back with wings backs. It took our momentum away after scoring that equaliser in my opinion. The subs were already coming on before that goal but I’d of liked to see the team that managed to equalise have more time to build up momentum. Wasn’t tactically impressed with it. We’d of reverted to that formation before we even equalised by the looks of it.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was a bit frustrated to see that when we scored our equaliser, Taylor reverted back to three at the back with wings backs. It took our momentum away after scoring that equaliser in my opinion. The subs were already coming on before that goal but I’d of liked to see the team that managed to equalise have more time to build up momentum. Wasn’t tactically impressed with it. We’d of reverted to that formation before we even equalised by the looks of it.
The frustrating thing about the 3-5-2 is we always seem to employ full-backs in the wing-back positions. Caprice gets himself into some great positions but he's never scored a goal. Similarly, Key seems to pass more often than shoot.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know the consensus is that we changed formation but I thought we kept the same shape and Grounds came on and played at left back. I’d have thought if we were going to switch to three at the back then Ray would have come on instead. The substitutions appeared to be pre-planned and pre-timed to mange the fitness of Daniel and Edwards but I wonder with hindsight the manager might have chosen to keep Edwards on for another 5 minutes to build on the momentum of the goal.

Red Devon

….

manc grecian

I know the consensus is that we changed formation but I thought we kept the same shape and Grounds came on and played at left back. I’d have thought if we were going to switch to three at the back then Ray would have come on instead. The substitutions appeared to be pre-planned and pre-timed to mange the fitness of Daniel and Edwards but I wonder with hindsight the manager might have chosen to keep Edwards on for another 5 minutes to build on the momentum of the goal.
We definitely played 3 at the back with Grounds the left of the 3. Caprice did ok but his lack of left foot really hampered us. Maybe coley for Edwards