• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Rules for interviewing new managers in the EFL

OmanGrecian

What are your thoughts on this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48555148

Surely if your CV is good enough, then you should be interviewed and should not be done on your ethnic background. What happens if there are no BAME applications?

I think this is focussed at the wrong level, they should be focusing on coaching qualifications, enticing BAME coaches more with these opportunities and progression. Get more people qualified in order to be qualified for those coaching roles.

Last edited:

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
What are your thoughts on this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48555148

Surely if your CV is good enough, then you should be interviewed and should not be done on your ethnic background. What happens if there are no BAME applications?

I think this is focussed at the wrong level, they should be focusing on coaching qualifications, enticing BAME coaches more with these opportunities and progression. Get more people qualified in order to be qualified for those coaching roles.
My thoughts are the best person gets the job, Doesn't matter what ethnicity the person is, Enforcing people onto short lists is not right. What if it's seen that BAME people get on short lists and interviewed but rarely get the job then that's going to make people unhappy. I think it's just a half hearted way of doing things. There is an awful discrepancy between the number of black players playing the game and those that go into coaching/management, I don't know the reason why and surely the FA/EFL should be looking at that and encouraging black players that there is a reason into going that way when they've retired from playing, Perhaps they need to talk to those players and the ones still playing as to why they are not going into coaching/management?

When these subjects come up in all walks of life it seems to me that those in charge never ask the people involved but ask committees or focus groups who only have a narrow view and want to be seen as "Right On" I have no real answers because I'm a white, middle aged man and have no experience of what BAME people have had to face so i do hope they ask them for their views

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’ve got a lad from Ghana working for me at the moment and we were discussing this subject.

His view is that if he turned up to be interviewed and found he was the only BAME candidate there’d be a nagging feeling that he’s the token black man and wouldn’t be impressed.

‘Positive’ discrimination is still discrimination.

iscalad

Why no women on short list. #Dannyred.

Temporarily Exiled

There is undeniably a problem, and fixing it isn't going to be easy.

For some reason or another, black ex-pros, even extremely distinguished ones, have struggled to get interviews. David James is intelligent, wants to become a manager, and even has a UEFA A License - but while he struggles to get a start, former teammate Frank Lampard (UEFA B License) walks into Championship Derby County. Sol Campbell has captained England, had coaching experience, has a UEFA Pro License, but had to go to Macclesfield to get his start in English football (and kept them up). Steven Gerrard, who had similar experience but no UEFA Pro License managed to get his start a few steps above, at Rangers.

Clubs may not be intentionally racist, but there's an institutional, subconscious racism at play. We all have an idea of what a football manager looks like, and Frank Lampard fits that idea more closely than David James. That will have an effect when making a decision on who to invite to interviews and who to hire, these are very fine margins at play. Requiring clubs to at least give people from severely underrepresented backgrounds a hearing really can't hurt. If they still decide another candidate is better for the job, so be it - but I can't see how they'll be any worse off for interviewing one more candidate.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
While David James was ok between the sticks lets face it Frank Lampard did a whole lot more in his career on the pitch.
He didn't get the nickname " Calamity James " for no reason !

IndoMike

While David James was ok between the sticks lets face it Frank Lampard did a whole lot more in his career on the pitch.
He didn't get the nickname " Calamity James " for no reason !
And Klopp, Wenger, Mourinho had a better playing record than David James? James played 53 games for England and nearly 800 league games.

Last edited: