• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

RIP Mike Balson

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Worthy of it's own thread. Quite a few of us will remember him. RIP Mike.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2019/june/mikebalson/

Larry Wilkie

Worthy of it's own thread. Quite a few of us will remember him. RIP Mike.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2019/june/mikebalson/
Very sad news.

He was in the team when I went to my first match in 1971!!

RIP Mike and best wishes to his family.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I will remember Mike as a no nonsense defender. I particularly remember his efforts containing Sheffield United at SJP in 1968 in the League Cup.

RIP

Colesman Ballz

I will remember Mike as a no nonsense defender. I particularly remember his efforts containing Sheffield United at SJP in 1968 in the League Cup.

RIP
Shirley it was Wednesday (on a Wednesday night too).They were 4th in Division One at the time, and a great scalp. Set us up for the third round trip to White Hart Lane in the 3rd Round. We led twice before eventually succumbing 3-6 (And I still reckon all three of Greaves goals were offside !). Spurs fans were very complimentary after the match too. Iirc they had beaten Crewe 9-0 in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup in the January.

RIP.

PeteUSA

You're quite right Mr Ballz. Sheffield Wednesday it was, at a time when top teams were sending the same eleven to play for each match; none of this putting out a reserve side as is common today. I remember Wednesday goalkeeper Peter Springett having dreadful trouble dealing with crosses with the floodlights in his eyes! He moaned about the lights whichever team he played at SJP for.

flakey pasty

You're quite right Mr Ballz. Sheffield Wednesday it was, at a time when top teams were sending the same eleven to play for each match; none of this putting out a reserve side as is common today. I remember Wednesday goalkeeper Peter Springett having dreadful trouble dealing with crosses with the floodlights in his eyes! He moaned about the lights whichever team he played at SJP for.
Didn’t John Corr score in this game? I was on the Big Bank that night, a terrific result for us.

IndoMike

I remember Peter Bullock scored a great goal. Jim McCalliog was in the Wednesday team.
But this thread is about Mike Balson. Remember him well. Rest in peace.

haka

I only remember the tail-end of his time with City, but he was certainly a local hero.

But I had no idea about his subsequent career in the USA, by all accounts a very prominent one off the pitch.

https://www.amazon.com/Soccer-Helpful-Tips-Coaches-Parents-Players/dp/149843407X

fred binneys head

RIP Micky.

PeteUSA

Didn’t John Corr score in this game? I was on the Big Bank that night, a terrific result for us.
Yes the City scorers were: Dermot Curtis, Peter Bullock, and John Corr. Attendance: 15,962.