• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Young City Fans

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just a heartwarming random thought on this bank holiday Monday.

Today is the 7th birthday of an avid young City fan that I know. I'm not going to name him, but he is a shining example of what our club is about and why we should be proud.

He started to get interested in football at an earlier age and plays the game (very well for his age by all accounts). Perversely, his dad had no interest in football, prior to his son's involvement. Dad was persuaded to bring him to SJP and, frankly, that was it. The catalyst that has seen both of them coming to almost every City game since that 'fateful day' and standing on the big bank together.

The lad has twice been a mascot and has loved every minute of it. He lives and breathes Exeter City and, although he has a passing interest in Manchester United, his bedroom walls are adorned with photos of City players. Next season he will be a member of the Junior Grecians.

Here's to a lifelong association with ECFC and, who knows, one day a starlet of our Academy.

Happy 7th birthday young man! 😊

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Today is the 7th birthday of an avid young City fan that I know. I'm not going to name him, but he is a shining example of what our club is about and why we should be proud.

He started to get interested in football at an earlier age and plays the game (very well for his age by all accounts). Perversely, his dad had no interest in football, prior to his son's involvement. Dad was persuaded to bring him to SJP and, frankly, that was it. The catalyst that has seen both of them coming to almost every City game since that 'fateful day' and standing on the big bank together.

The lad has twice been a mascot and has loved every minute of it. He lives and breathes Exeter City and, although he has a passing interest in Manchester United, his bedroom walls are adorned with photos of City players. Next season he will be a member of the Junior Grecians.

Here's to a lifelong association with ECFC and, who knows, one day a starlet of our Academy.

Happy 7th birthday young man! ��
Love it Pete

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Happy 7th birthday young man! ��
Echo your good wishes Pete “the futures bright its Red and White” UTC.

dontpassback

Happy birthday young man,not only are you a football fan,you are part of something very special,you are a member of the Grecian family and I hope you have many happy years following a team which for most of us is the only team worth following,there will be ups and downs but this is a special club,and as someone who went to his first game aged 10 in 1968 I hope you enjoy being a part of it as I do even years later UTC !

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Happy birthday young man,not only are you a football fan,you are part of something very special,you are a member of the Grecian family and I hope you have many happy years following a team which for most of us is the only team worth following,there will be ups and downs but this is a special club,and as someone who went to his first game aged 10 in 1968 I hope you enjoy being a part of it as I do even years later UTC !
Echo all of the above and the term “Grecian Family” is so apt. I joined way back in 1950 at the age of 8. Over the years we all have ups and downs in our lives, some of us more than others, but for me no matter what happened the love of my football team and being part of the “Grecian Family” always gave me something to fall back on and meant that I never felt alone. UTC.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Echo all of the above and the term “Grecian Family” is so apt. I joined way back in 1950 at the age of 8. Over the years we all have ups and downs in our lives, some of us more than others, but for me no matter what happened the love of my football team and being part of the “Grecian Family” always gave me something to fall back on and meant that I never felt alone. UTC.
I like your post.

Dannyred

You have to question why so many kids in Exeter support other teams.

fred binneys head

You have to question why so many kids in Exeter support other teams.
Have a guess.

Dannyred

Have a guess.
No idea you tell me and the club.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
No idea you tell me and the club.
Maybe something to do with the blanket coverage given by every section of the media to the PL and the “big” six in particular.