• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So, where did we go wrong?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see the blame game for today is starting up at the latter end of the matchday thread, so I thought this thread might be useful since that game was in our hands today and we really should have won it, no question.

For what its worth, I thought Bowman had a tremendous game today playing out of his skin and never stopped running, but he really should have got a goal IMHO. We know by now that he's not a goalscoring replacement for Stockley, so maybe its harsh to single him out, but I wish he could have done better on one of those chances at least.

Its not all about today though is it? The points we threw away in the run in especially were dreadful, I mean losing at home to Macclesfield? What do other City chums think?

I'm trying to take consolation from the suggestion that we weren't good enough to get promoted, but I cant make that work very well! ;(

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure we went wrong at all as we finished higher up the table than most people expected at the start of the season. However, the January transfer window was clearly significant. It wasn't just losing but Stockley that hurt us but also the pointless re-call of Ogbene, who was just starting to look like he could be a valuable player for us. In both cases it understandably took their replacements a couple of months to get up to speed by which time we had dropped too many crucial points.

Stelios

It all went wrong when the clocks changed. I don't know why it happened but we had such a terrible run (no win in 8 league games in Oct/Nov/Dec). Plus the stuffing against Blackpool.

We had a 'virus' go through the squad and the team was never settled again really. So many injuries throughout the season too. The squad looked weak, unbalanced and very ropey. Just when we got firing again after a great Christmas we lost Stockley and that was that really. You need 15-20 goals a year strikers to go up.

I'm not sure raw loanees like Ogbene, Abrahams, D Wilson, Jaden Brown (remember him) are the answer. You get the odd gem like Dara O'Shea and Kane Wilson but managers lose their bottle to play some of them when it matters. One or two a year is fine. We had too many this year.

I still think if Tisdale had played Kyle Edwards for the whole season we could have gone up in the autos last year but that is for another thread!

CityTillIDie

MT's first season, just missed the play offs.. not sure we went wrong too bad tbh!

arthur

We had an average to good season. The order in which our good and bad spells appeared makes it looks worse than it is. Had we started slowly (new manager, new players getting to know each other etc) and clawed our way to within a point of the playoffs with a victory on the last day of the season, this sort of question would be phrased slightly differently.

Grecian2K

So "where did we go wrong"???

Well, apart from the fact that our vertically-challenged glovesman was not able to soar like an eagle in the 95th minute to nod in a winner I would, unapologetically, apportion the blame on our bitter, twisted and self-appointed MD thread-starter for missing the obligatory word "Official" in the title.

Jinxed before we even reached the A46. :(

Last edited:

Steve H

MT's first season, just missed the play offs.. not sure we went wrong too bad tbh!
Agree with this..... not sure for a first season in management that it did go wrong

Grecian2K

It could have been far worse.

For example we could have appointed Chris Grayling instead of Matty T. ;)

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I don’t think it has - top 10 this season was always our rightful place in the table - we’re not good enough for the playoffs sadly.

If Stockley stays we would of got playoffs for sure.

Stelios

It could have been far worse.

For example we could have appointed Chris Grayling instead of Matty T. ;)
Would have been fun watching him buy players who don't exist.......