• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor appreciation thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know this is being discussed on another thread but I thought it deserved a thread of its own. Whatever happens on Saturday I think most of us are agreed that Matt Taylor has done an excellent job this season. On the pitch we have overcome injuries and the loss of key players to finish higher than many of us would have expected. Meanwhile off the pitch I think fans appreciate both his honesty and how much the job means to him and that he understands the importance of the football club, both to fans and the wider community.

tonykellowfan

Agreed, he has done a good job this year. I think he will be judged on his performance next year, as there will be pressure to improve over time.

Thames Valley Red

5000 gates at home show that he has galvanized the fans base with his honesty and direct chat. Will be interesting to see the recruitment role Kinder may have already played. Would be good to see some lads down from the North West to supplement Law, Martin, Bowman. Clearly a centre half required and a leader. Maybe a goal keeper and maybe an anchor man.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
A good first season which is still alive on the final day. No doubt Matt will have learned a lot this year from his first year in management.

As mentioned above, next season is the true indication of his managerial ability. We need to find more consistency, easier said than done.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Happy to have Matt in place this year, his honesty has been refreshing. Expect he has learnt a lot this season and will continue to learn. I hope he will learn the value of having 2 able goalkeepers on the books.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Elephant in the room: the captaincy. Jake T is a good player but doesn't seem to be an effective captain. Law next season?

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thread titles really matter and I like opening Exeweb to see thread titles that support our players or manager. I remember there used to be threads on goalkeepers started by you-know-who which were like "so and so isn't good enough" which would run for ages and every day I had to open Exeweb to see a miserable negative opinion that wasn't even based on regular viewing of that player.

Matt has done a very good job this season, and he is finishing the season with a strong team for this league. I suppose we'll keep most of our key players (maybe Pym excepted, maybe not) and I'm very optimistic for next season. You can't say this manager isn't putting everything into the job, as did his predecessor, and he has tried to learn from his mistakes. He has also learned from the popular opinion of Tis in that just "staying in a game" is not enough for some of our fans, it is that we try and play enterprising football too. He has managed that on quite a few occasions this season, while there have been some collapses when we have lost our composure and shape too easily. Personally, I feel Archie Collins is a key player, and I would start him every game if possible. He gives a shape to midfield that we don't have without him. Along with that Bowman has tied down a forward position and he is actually a better ball winner than Stockley, and his finishing isn't too shabby either.

Onwards and upwards.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Elephant in the room: the captaincy. Jake T is a good player but doesn't seem to be an effective captain. Law next season?
Good point. Jake is a great bloke around the club and is involved in a lot of things behind the scenes, he's also a good player and a match winner on his day. But I don't see him as the leader on the pitch. This season I have been disappointed with the failure of the senior players to provide that leadership on the field with no one seemingly able to take command.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A very positive new thread and personally I cannot wait to see his retained list and see him continue his new broom sweeps clean policy. No more signings of players recovering from injury, injury prone or on their last legs....bring it on UTC.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Matt may give the job to the midfield hard man he's going to sign.