• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Watching City away from the 'home' stands

Stelios

Just wondered whether anyone here has watched City in the home sides of a City away game. Never done it myself and don't plan on doing it but curious to hear about what the match day experience was like. Do you have to pretend to be a 'home' fan? Can you cheer when City score?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Done it a few times,it’s ok as long as you don’t take the pi55 & jump all over the place if we score(I don’t do that even at SJP)
Watched the Grecians at Millwall for a FL game in the bad old days(1979/80) obviously a low profile was kept there.

The other side of the coin a few away supporters have sat around me at times,most are respectful that they are sat among home fans,i & others stopped a few jobsworth stewards removing them on occasions..The ones who are not respectful have had short shift from other fans younger than me(Southampton springs to mind a few years back)

I will be in the home grandstand at FGR as I have done on previous visits.They have got to be the nicest home fans I have ever had to pleasure to sit among.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Just thinking back,watching the Grecians at Home Park in the late 1970s there was no segregation & stood in front of the Mayflower stand in the paddock when I was 16 & got booted for my trouble when we scored,I stood in the Lyndhurst for the next visit with a few mates from college,cheered a goal & dodged a load of ugly looking Janners who were cursing that ‘there is Exeter in here somewhere’ :D

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Done it a few times over the years as Olds alludes to it's all about respecting your surroundings and where you are. I would describe it as a more subdued match day experience.
Most recent was Notts County last year 2-0 win Stockley and Deano I just smiled alot when the goals went in rather than making a huge fuss

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Leeds Utd away and it was awful. When Alex Russell scored that free kick I sat forward and held my head in my hands, screaming inside. My mates said it was probably the best thing I could have done in the circumstances and saved me a good thrashing.

Never, ever again.

Avening Posse

Have done it at Torquay a couple of times when I haven't managed to get away tickets (with a group of mates and it's been fine) and also at Pompey when I accompanied a Pompey supporting mate from work, which was not fine, and I thoroughly recommend NEVER to do that at Fratton Park

Oldsmobile-88

At Colchester when they had a away fan ban in the mid 1980s.A membership card was reqd,which about 6 of us managed to get one way or another..Doubly tricky because we were not supposed to be in the ground let alone sat with the home support ! No problem when we politely cheered when the Grecians scored a couple of times.

Stelios

Yes been around a few oppo fans at SJP over the years. Never have a problem with it but some have been a bit too loud and vocal and people around them have started to get a bit annoyed.......

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes been around a few oppo fans at SJP over the years. Never have a problem with it but some have been a bit too loud and vocal and people around them have started to get a bit annoyed.......
Yep I had a Plymouth fan sat behind me in the main stand the last time we played them when they scored in the first few minutes......not impressed!

Also Bristol Rovers fans a few seasons back were in the hospitality and had clearly had a few, no problem, until they started to sing Rovers songs it became a bit too much for some City supporters who had a few choice words.

GJW

There were about 30 Port Vale fans in front of me on the Big Bank when we were in the JPT southern final all those years ago. Then they started singing, then it got a bit messy. Same game and an ECFC flag went up in the away end not long after and he got dragged out by the stewards.