• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Marcello Bielsa - Leeds United Manager

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I realise that this post will undoubtedly upset the "win at any cost" wing of the ExeWeb party but kudos to Signor Bielsa for ordering his team to allow Villa an uncontested equaliser after, not only blatant 'cheating' by his player who, when returned a ball to put out of play for an injury -while technically in an offside position - instead took it past a static defence to score.

But, not only that, in the ensuing melee, also had our own "favourite whistle man" of years past - yes Mr Stuart Attwell, in is to YOU I am referring :( - to be conned by Patrick Bamford into sending a Villa player off for a headbut that never even happened.

Still, what do you expect when you still, unaccountably, have the country's worst ever official plying his trade with flag and whistle in the professional game. Well, at least Mr A can now add 'invisible assaults' to 'ghost goals' in his CV of infamy. Jeez, he even makes Hett Bruxtable look competent.

Biggest fear is that, after today's debacle, St. Stuart will be further relegated to whatever league we happen to be in next year, and we are subjected to the officious officiation of the 'pocket rocket' at SJP once again. :(

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I personally don’t think Leeds did anything wrong - IMO if it isn’t a head injury you should play on.....I hate it when teams kick it out for players who get up 30 seconds later

IndoMike

I watched the Youtube highlights but not sufficient to make a judgement. Very sporting by Bielsa, I must say.
But something has to be done about these incidents when a player goes down injured and all kinds of consequences result from it. I have always thought that we should adopt the rugby system of allowing the physio/medic to come onto the pitch without stopping play : I think I've seen other posters saying the same thing. There's no doubt that some players are abusing this as a tactic and it's spoiling the game. Sort it out, FA/Football League. And while you're at it, sort out the rogue club owners, racism, big clubs pinching academy players from clubs like City, the miserly seasonal payments to lower league clubs, and referees that couldn't ref a pub league match.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Predictably easy fishing at Cowley Bridge this afternoon. ;)

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I think it should be only up to a referee to stop a game, not a player, then there would be no having to give the ball back from a restart, not, as Creds rightly says, you’re under any obligation to do so. Especially when the player gets up straight away.

Plus too, it really should be just for head injuries or serious injuries (which anyone with eyes in their head can see). Maybe also have a mandatory five minute period on the sidelines for any one that causes an injury stoppage, just to make sure they’re fully fit and able to continue.

Oldsmobile-88

Yes..Absolute nonsense to feel obligated to kick the ball out.
This type of senario will happen because of that.It makes a absolute mockery of the game allowing a player to score unopposed.

Stelios

I watched the Youtube highlights but not sufficient to make a judgement. Very sporting by Bielsa, I must say.
But something has to be done about these incidents when a player goes down injured and all kinds of consequences result from it. I have always thought that we should adopt the rugby system of allowing the physio/medic to come onto the pitch without stopping play : I think I've seen other posters saying the same thing. There's no doubt that some players are abusing this as a tactic and it's spoiling the game. Sort it out, FA/Football League.
I agree (y)

Good of Bielsa to order the goal (Dean Smith says he told Bielsa to do it) but Villa shouldn't have stopped in the first place. The reason Smith was so livid is that the Leeds player feigned to put the ball out then saw his teammate unmarked and through on goal and so couldn't resist passing to him. By then Villa had stopped defending.

This 'sportingly' putting the ball out of play is rubbish anyway. Most of the time players are feigning injury. Get the ref back in control. Play to the whistle. It's so obvious players are going down to stop play and break up play. Unless it's a head injury or serious injury then play on.

grecIAN Harris

I realise that this post will undoubtedly upset the "win at any cost" wing of the ExeWeb party but kudos to Signor Bielsa for ordering his team to allow Villa an uncontested equaliser after, not only blatant 'cheating' by his player who, when returned a ball to put out of play for an injury -while technically in an offside position - instead took it past a static defence to score.

But, not only that, in the ensuing melee, also had our own "favourite whistle man" of years past - yes Mr Stuart Attwell, in is to YOU I am referring :( - to be conned by Patrick Bamford into sending a Villa player off for a headbut that never even happened.

Still, what do you expect when you still, unaccountably, have the country's worst ever official plying his trade with flag and whistle in the professional game. Well, at least Mr A can now add 'invisible assaults' to 'ghost goals' in his CV of infamy. Jeez, he even makes Hett Bruxtable look competent.

Biggest fear is that, after today's debacle, St. Stuart will be further relegated to whatever league we happen to be in next year, and we are subjected to the officious officiation of the 'pocket rocket' at SJP once again. :(
It wasn't Attwell who made the call but his linesman and neither was it a headbutt but an alleged flayling elbow which didn't hit Patrick Bamford.
As for the rest of it, feigning injury has made a mockery of good sportsmanship. The days of kicking the ball out for injury, unless it is a head of injury, should be banished to history. If the team of the injured player feel it's that bad then they should win the ball back and put it out. Play should then restart as normal. If they can't...…………………. tough.

Alistair20000

But something has to be done about these incidents when a player goes down injured and all kinds of consequences result from it. I have always thought that we should adopt the rugby system of allowing the physio/medic to come onto the pitch without stopping play : I think I've seen other posters saying the same thing. There's no doubt that some players are abusing this as a tactic and it's spoiling the game. Sort it out, FA/Football League. And while you're at it, sort out the rogue club owners, racism, big clubs pinching academy players from clubs like City, the miserly seasonal payments to lower league clubs, and referees that couldn't ref a pub league match.
A lot of work to do there Indo :S

Colesman Ballz

One wonders (a) jf Bielsa was trying to atone for "spygate" and (b) what the Leeds supporters make of his decision, especially if they fail to win promotion via the play offs ? it was a very big call indeed !