• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

We're not that great

Stelios

According to Swindon Boss Richie Wellens

Swindon Town boss Richie Wellens has criticised a "lack of desire" in his squad and says there will be "a lot of changes of personnel" this summer.

The Robins are 14th in League Two, five points off the play-off places with two games to go, after losing to Crewe.

Ex-Leicester City midfielder Wellens, 39, took over after Phil Brown was sacked in November, with Swindon 17th.

"I want to try and get a better quality of player in, because it's a poor league," Wellens told BBC Wiltshire.

"The teams in sixth and seventh are not that great. If they're not that great, and we can't get in [to the play-offs], what does it say about the players that have been here?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48058313
Don't think he's being that harsh to be fair. Lots here have said the same. It is not a very strong league.

ecfc2000

He's bang on. We're a bang average team in a ****e league. IMO, like a lot of other lg2 teams, we'd struggle in the conference.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
He's bang on. We're a bang average team in a ****e league. IMO, like a lot of other lg2 teams, we'd struggle in the conference.
Seen a lot of Conference games this season have you? Give how Rovers, Cheltenham and Orient (having been ****e L2 teams) have all bounced back immediately from the Conf in recent years, I don't entirely agree with what you're saying.

Antony Moxey

It’s true we’re not a great team, but then again neither is anyone else. It’s why we’re in the bottom division. Even Lincoln, who’ve run away with the division at a canter are awful.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The only way anyone can be disappointed with this season is because of the high standards we've set ourselves in the two previous seasons in the league. Matt Taylor has added more urgency to our play while losing key players pre and mid season. I don't think we'd be in a play off place if the standard in the league hadn't gone down a touch, but it's all about stopping the other team from playing in this league now, everyone sets up like that except the top teams, and teams are getting very good at it. As under Paul Tisdale, I always feel with MT that he is making progress towards making the team better and encouraging players to believe in themselves. Some players have been very in and out of form, but the formation and tactics have been jigged around due to injuries and experimentation, which I think was warranted. But if you look at our bench today there are some very useful players there, which is a reflection of the development this season. Bowman coming through as our best centre forward who suits the shape of the team makes me very optimistic for next season. Not sure we'll make the play offs but enough with negativity and UP THE CITY!!

Bongo1959

We might be lucky to get in the playoffs but we won't get promoted this year , maybe 4 new signings close season will do it next year but we can't rely on a small nucleus of quality to get us out of this league .

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The last 2 years, particularly 2 seasons ago, I thought we were good enough to up but we failed. This year I think we're not quite good enough so maybe we'll succeed.

Anything can happen if we make the playoffs. I certainly wouldnt rule us out yet.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
like a lot of other lg2 teams, we'd struggle in the conference.
Absolute garbage.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why are people always saying that the league is very average, poor quality etc. as if its something new. Its league 2. We're in it. We're usually in it. It's never a great standard. We don't easily escape it for the same reason other league 2 clubs don't. Because we've a league 2 sized budget and a league 2 quality team. That's to be expected.. We draw league 2 sized crowds. Get the feeling people watch prem/champs league on TV and their expections are warped. Even the league leaders are a poor side. Yes, because its league 2 they're leading. Here's a nugget of info though... The conference is even worse. And do you know whats worse than the conference? All the leagues below that.

geoffwp

He's bang on. We're a bang average team .
I've had over 50 years to get used to that. It doesn't surprise me anymore nor does it faze me. Up the bang average city! You beautiful bang average reds. Can't wait till next bang average season.