• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

Red Monster

denzil

Would be nice to create a side rather than sell all the time.

Matt Russell

It would, but where else is the money going to come from?
Currently it comes from Premiership/EFL, gate receipts and from the owners (Supporters Trust)
I think we've been told we are spending £500,000 over and above the sum of these for the next couple of years ONLY because we have the income from player sales.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
As we know from the Ampadu scenario we have no say in it really, all we can do is offer him a contract when he is sixteen then see if he accepts it - no doubbt an agent will be involved and get his two penneth worth. Then onto the totally fair and realistic unbiased tribunal, and we get our tuppence.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sure someone knows how to spell his name correctly, but evidently not the reporter in this story as he has used two different versions.... :)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good luck to the lad if this is true and works out for him. Of course Alex Inglethorpe is their Academy Director.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/academy/staff/alex-inglethorpe

However, while I'm sure this is all kosher and they will play by the rules - cough - Liverpool have already been banned once for offering illegal inducements to Academy players.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/liverpool-banned-signing-academy-players-fined-stoke

The PL rules governing this are VERY strict and detailed.

https://www.premierleague.com/publications.

budegrecian

The news we've all been fearing since he made it into the England youth set up.
How soon is the boy 16? The report suggests he's only just past 15. My understanding, which may not be entirely accurate, (& which is different from the report) is that once he turns 16 we can offer him a professional contract. Even if he doesn't sign it a Premiership club can no longer come & just take him for a bag of beans; they either have to make us an acceptable offer or it gets referred to tribunal. Which was the Ampadu scenario. If he goes before this we just get the fixed fee of a few grand for each year he's been developed by us, plus future amounts based on appearances.
If he goes to Liverpool, I think Alex Inglethorpe heads up their academy; would he encourage Liverpool to do the decent thing by us? & even if he did, would the powers that be at Liverpool take any notice?
I've always believed that Liverpool have a bit more class about them than the likes of Bruce 'fast' Buck & his cohort of Chelsea spivs, but I wouldn't gamble on it. Regretably I foresee yet another unhappy ending for the Club, over this one.

Dannyred

We have to sell players to pay the chairman his £20,000 wage increase.

Can we not afford a scoreboard that would make money.

How many players will be on a free if we don’t go up ?

Oops we are worrying about a young player that we will give away as we are good at doing that at the club.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster

Oops we are worrying about a young player that we will give away as we are good at doing that at the club.
We don't have to sell players to justify the chairmans 20k wage increase.

If we think a scoreboard will make us money we'd get one.

The same amount of players will be on a free if we go up or don't go up.

We don't 'give' young players away. We offer them a contract at the first opportunity. If they choose not to sign, like Ampadu chose not to, then there's nothing we can do. To say 'we're good at giving our young players away' is utter bo!!ocks.

Red Monster

So how do you suggest we keep a 15 year old that hasn’t got a professional contract?